HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    areale912

Accidentally used a copyrighted character concept?

I self-published a book a while back that consisted of characters in the public domain. One of those characters was Pinocchio, and I made him a general of an army of Wooden Soldiers, which were automatons under his command.

I found out recently that there's a comic series called Fables where Pinocchio apparently interacts with Wooden Soldiers. Obviously, I didn't mean to copy that concept, but I'm a little worried that people will think I ripped them off. Can I get in trouble with copyright infringement or any other similar situations?

Rogue Mutt
    If that were the case Hollywood would have shut down about 75 years ago.

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickett View Post

Mutt is correct there. All new sci-fi movies would never make it if copyrights were that strict.
    Remember last year when there were two different movies about terrorists taking over the White House? And then there are "mockbusters" that use similar names and concepts to things like Transformers or Thor but have far lower production values.

Isn't the key issue one of public domain? Pinocchio, the character, dates back to an 1881 book and is in the public domain. That doesn't mean you could use an illustration of Disney's version of the character, but it appears you've got free rein on the name. The concept of having him lead an army of wooden soldiers strikes me as too broad to be an infringement.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mutt View Post
    Remember last year when there were two different movies about terrorists taking over the White House? And then there are "mockbusters" that use similar names and concepts to things like Transformers or Thor but have far lower production values.
    Yeah they're forever making those. Pretty much nothing hasn't been covered at this point.

And I agree, Lawrence. It's a broad subject, and I don't see it being an issue at all.