HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

I've got a Damsel in Distress, but when? Help!

Hey, question for ya'll. In the book I'm currently working on, I need the secondary character to kidnap the protagonist fairly early on in the book, but I don't know whether it should be before or after she arrives at where most of the story takes place.

My protagonist is just about to leave her village to travel to a castle where she will be a student. At the school, she will meet and befriend her kidnapper, who is a spy for the rebel lord. My protagonist is an extremely gifted spell caster, and the enemy lord would love to get his hands on her, so he send one of his best men (my secondary character) to capture her. Also, I need my protagonist and her kidnapper together fairly early in the book, because of a plot development later on.

So, the question stands as thus: should he kidnap her right before leaving for the castle, and be rescued by the entourage she was to have traveled with? This way, it would be logical for him to follow her to the school (after escaping, of course) to finish what he started. However, it might make more sense to have him attend the school first, to have the best chance at snatching her. Since he is a spy, it would also give him the opportunity to gather a good bit of info on the side.

I'm just so conflicted, because either option is viable, but depending on which I take, the immediate story is going to vary a little too much for them to be interchangeable. Any ideas? Thx!

Have your secondary character hire someone to kidnap her so he can rescue her and get into her good graces

It should be sent not send

These things are hard to judge from the outside, since we don't know the ins and outs of your plot well enough to assess which approach would work better. At the very least, I suggest you take the approach that allows the action to proceed most naturally, without contrived coincidences to set everything up. At what point does he learn where she is, is that actually a good place to kidnap her (few witnesses, element of surprise, and all that), will watching her for a time allow him to come up with a good kidnapping plan, that sort of thing.

@ Craig: excellent idea! Thanks! That would definitely give me another plot twist to play later on; you know, the whole betrayal-by-a-friend thing.
    @ Glifindel: I didn't really think about which one would be more natural. As I was plotting that particular part of the book, it just felt wrong to have it the way I did, so I started thinking about other ways around it. I may just ditch it altogether, and cut my losses, but I really liked the layer of broken trust that it lent their relationship later on. Thanks for the advice- it's given me a couple ideas to play with!