HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Back to Simulated Mayhem

I've put my rewrite of my fantasy series back on hold for the moment. It just wasn't coming together for me, which made it a bit of a grind. Instead, I thought I'd get back to the Simulated Crime series and get Simulated Conspiracy knocked out.

Fortunately, this one is zipping along nicely, and I'm already 40,000 words in. My main challenge at the moment is just finding enough time to work on it, what with the demands from real work getting in the way. With any luck, the first draft should be done in a couple of months.

I'm also rethinking the cover designs for the series, since (as a few of you have pointed out), they're rather repetitive. I've been trying out a few different ideas, although nothing has really jumped out at me yet. This abstract design:

had some appeal, but the angled text is hard to read. This one:

gives it more of a "crime" feel and gives the reader a sense of the main character, although it comes across more along the lines of hard-boiled detective novel rather than science fiction. Note that these are just quick tests using low-rez images.

I'll keep playing with it. This often ends up as an exercise in serendipity, when I happen to stumble across the perfect background image in the photo sites I frequent, but if anyone had any ideas that might work, let me know; I'm always open to suggestions.

In graphic design, less is often more. The first one has more of a science fiction feel. Perhaps try a different font. For the second, I might suggest superimposing the text over the image of the female with the gun. Something like:

I'm more partial to the second image, personally.

I like the second one better, but her dress looks like it has a Target store logo on it.

I always thought Simulated was the detective genre in a sci-fi setting.

I find the title font a bit hard to read at an angle and straight on. I do agree that the second option doesn't say 'sci-fi' at all. Interesting ideas!

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by John Oberon View Post
    I like the second one better, but her dress looks like it has a Target store logo on it.

I always thought Simulated was the detective genre in a sci-fi setting.
    I was thinking the same thing about the Target logo.

Count me in on the Target logo thing, but honestly I can say that I like both of them equally well. I think they bought fit, and both have appeal in their own way. I would have to say that the second would probably catch my eye quicker though if it had to just come down to one.

Heck, it even says "crimes novel" right on it. I wouldn't balk entirely at marketing this series as in the detective genre.

lol, the "Target logo" is the watermark from the website I took the low-rez image from. It won't appear once I purchase the actual photo, assuming I take that route.

I'll give Pen's suggestion a try once I get back home (I'm on the road on business this week) and see if I can better integrate the heroine with the binary text. I'm trying to find a clean, effective way to visualize the "simulated" part and the "crime" part, and it's proving to be more challenging than I expected.

A side benefit of using the woman to represent Jennia is that there are about a dozen different images of her, so that I can use different poses for the different books. I can easily alter the color of her dress as well, and match that up to the title color.

Any suggestions for a better sci-fi-ish title font, while we're at it? This one is called Stop, and it's about the only one I have on hand at the moment that has a futuristic feel, other than the usual assortment of sans serif fonts like Arial and Futura.

I like bold, easy to read fonts. What you have is not bad, but I don't like the "I" and the "R" in "Conspiracy". I always think italicized fonts look futuristic or at least action-y, so maybe google italicized fonts. My favorite is one called Quark Storm - bold, clean, italicized, and just a bit futuristic. I don't like fonts with overblown style. If you don't like italics, there's Skyhawk and Praetorian. There's one called Mechalock that I think has kind of a steampunk look to it.

Of course, if you want a font to make your book, there's always Oberon, lol. It does look future-y.

It's just intuition on my part, but I've always thought it much better to have a person, or at least a representation of a person on a cover. I think that attracts way more attention.
    Last edited by John Oberon; 06-03-2014 at 04:04 AM.

No, I don't live in an underground bunker. I just visit it.
    I like the girl, keep it. As for the "target" on the dress, it would be awesome had the business world not produced an entity that stole your idea And, lastly and certainly least, one of the "Nicole Kidman" names is spelled "Nicoan Nicole"