HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Rogue Mutt
    You should really check the date of the post before replying. This person has already flown the coop.

Quote Originally Posted by JQGinger View Post
    Whatever problems there may be with flow and voice, as already brought out by the other comments, I think you are definitely on the right track. I really, really liked your overall tone, and the way you write seems easy and natural. Of course there are some rough spots, but nothing that's not fixable in two seconds.

Also, many writers try to use large words and complex sentence structures to try to seem well-informed and witty, but end up sounding like they've got a dictionary pressed to the keys instead. You, however, use many "smart" words with flair and ease. Your writing sounds natural, which is a fabulous edge, because that's one thing that's really difficult to learn or acquire. So, seriously, from one writer to another, DON'T GIVE UP- you have a way with words that is altogether pleasing and enjoyable to read. Problems with flow and character voice and verb choice (lol) can all be dealt with later. Just be careful not to lose your style-or confidence, for that matter- while editing and rewriting. I promise, you're on your way to great things. Just keep plugging right along.

Best of luck!

Haha- I really hope that after all that talk about intelligent writing that I don't have a typo in here, or a stupid grammar mistake mixed in somewhere. That would be most embarrassing, indeed.

Whoops. I'm still a little new to this site, so thx for the pointer.

Oh, Pullease do not kowtow to the Rabid One. There is a reason that all of this archival stuff is still here. It is not that Wickett is too lazy to clear it off. All of this information can be of import to writers trying to get a leg up. If you have something to say do so.

I missed that particular post and I have to admit that some of the comments were not only well aimed but are pertinent to anyone trying to put a story together. Verb usage is one of the harder things to keep track of because current modes of conversation overuse them.

Rogue Mutt
    I'll admit you need all the help you can get, Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Oh, Pullease do not kowtow to the Rabid One. There is a reason that all of this archival stuff is still here. It is not that Wickett is too lazy to clear it off. All of this information can be of import to writers trying to get a leg up. If you have something to say do so.

I missed that particular post and I have to admit that some of the comments were not only well aimed but are pertinent to anyone trying to put a story together. Verb usage is one of the harder things to keep track of because current modes of conversation overuse them.

You people are hopeless. :P

Either way, it's considered bad forum etiquette to revive old threads like that, but honestly, I don't care if people do or not. It's still discussion. If new stuff can be added to it to make it discussion worthy again, by all means go for it.

This is all exposition. It's not a story, it's backstory. If the story is about the kid deciphering the message, why not start with his frustration, being so close, just not being able to get it, he was devastated because it meant he wasn't half the man his successful father had been. If the story is some alien disrupting the kid's nirvana of discovery with you-answered-so-here-we-are-now-entertain-us, then start right there, with the knock on the door, or the popup on the computer screen, or the simultaneous broadcast on every TV screen in England - no, wait, the last episode of the BBC's Sherlock just did that, and it was already tired as a trope.

You need to know the backstory. The reader? Maybe, sometimes, dribbled out when necessary. Go rent Memento for a brilliant story that is all backstory, or just think of how Chinatown would have been ordinary at best had we already known about Faye Dunaway's sexual history before Nicholson slaps her.