HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    688
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilfindel View Post
    I wrote that story on my very first PC, an 8086 processor with two (count 'em, two!) 5.25 inch floppy drives and a whopping 768k of memory running MS-DOS.
    Phew! Did you carbon date that fossil? Seriously though, rewriting affords you the opportunity to plan sequels, or correct deficiencies in the original based on what you know now.



  2. #12
    Administrator Wickett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    662
    I like Baldur and Kelmscott quite a lot for the title, but definitely not Magda. Just too weird looking in my opinion.

  3. #13
    Senior Member Gilfindel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    688
    Quote Originally Posted by Author Pendragin View Post
    Phew! Did you carbon date that fossil? Seriously though, rewriting affords you the opportunity to plan sequels, or correct deficiencies in the original based on what you know now.
    lol, I had to blow a bit of dust off before I could get started. I've transcribed about a third of the first book so far (about 60 pages or so), and I've discovered a few plot holes and discrepancies that need to be addressed, which has slowed down my progress somewhat, but it's chugging along. It's interesting to see how my writing style has evolved over the intervening decades, but it's still easily recognizable as mine. As I go, the ideas I had for the third story are slowly coming back; I should probably write them down at some point...

  4. #14
    Senior Member Gilfindel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    688
    Quote Originally Posted by John Oberon View Post
    Four fonts popped into mind from my design days: Morris Roman, Perry Gothic, Livingstone, and Latin. I don't even know if they make those fonts anymore. They probably make a lot of different versions of Latin now though, I bet.

    I was just looking at fonts on my computer and there's a nice one called Baldur. Strong, clean medieval font, with a touch of style to it. I like it.
    I quite like Perry Gothic, but for some reason the lowercase w looks very strange, like the mutant offspring of a w and an n. The uppercase W looks fine, though. Maybe it's just the preview; I'll play with the shareware version I've downloaded and see if it works.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Gilfindel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    688
    Here's a quick test using Perry Gothic for the title font. I've given the text a black outline to help it stand out a bit better, but the title looks flat to me (in large part, I suspect, because it's, you know, flat). I might try it with the metallic 3D effect I used on the original to give it some visual pop.


  6. #16
    Senior Member Gilfindel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    688
    A quick update: I've applied a gradient to the text and replaced the outline with a drop shadow.



    You can't see it in these images, but the font seems to have pixellation issues when I zoom in at 100%. Of course, it didn't cost me anything, so I guess I get what I paid for ...

  7. #17
    Administrator Wickett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilfindel View Post
    A quick update: I've applied a gradient to the text and replaced the outline with a drop shadow.



    You can't see it in these images, but the font seems to have pixellation issues when I zoom in at 100%. Of course, it didn't cost me anything, so I guess I get what I paid for ...
    Definitely way better than it was. Not sure you could get much better than that to be honest. The color is good, it's readable, has a nice shine. You're on the right track.

  8. #18
    Senior Member John Oberon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    3,063
    Yep, way better. Your name's good now too. I'm liking it. I like the flat better myself, though it should be a brighter yellow. That metallic gradient - metal on metal true concord does not make, but everyone has their own eye.

  9. #19
    Senior Member Gilfindel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    688
    Well, crud. I'm nearly 40,000 words into the first book, and I've just realized that I've been transcribing the wrong copy. I had a couple of versions sitting on my shelf, but they both had the same copyright year on them. The correct version is very similar, but enough has changed to basically mean I might have to throw away everything I've done so far and start again from the beginning. Heavy sigh ...

    I'm debating whether to take advantage of this unfortunate goof to make some additional modifications to the stories, although that would slow things down quite a bit. In particular, I wonder if I should make the main character a bit younger (he's currently around 20) and turn this into a YA series instead. The plot isn't particularly intricate, and there are enough "overcome adversity through courage and determination in order to save the princess and defeat the evil wizard" moments that it should work for younger audiences. On the other hand, it would also alter the dynamics between the characters, since I'd have to tone down the love story that's threaded throughout.

    Oh, well, I'll ponder my options and see what appeals. Stay tuned...

  10. #20
    Administrator Wickett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilfindel View Post
    Well, crud. I'm nearly 40,000 words into the first book, and I've just realized that I've been transcribing the wrong copy. I had a couple of versions sitting on my shelf, but they both had the same copyright year on them. The correct version is very similar, but enough has changed to basically mean I might have to throw away everything I've done so far and start again from the beginning. Heavy sigh ...

    I'm debating whether to take advantage of this unfortunate goof to make some additional modifications to the stories, although that would slow things down quite a bit. In particular, I wonder if I should make the main character a bit younger (he's currently around 20) and turn this into a YA series instead. The plot isn't particularly intricate, and there are enough "overcome adversity through courage and determination in order to save the princess and defeat the evil wizard" moments that it should work for younger audiences. On the other hand, it would also alter the dynamics between the characters, since I'd have to tone down the love story that's threaded throughout.

    Oh, well, I'll ponder my options and see what appeals. Stay tuned...
    If you don't take your time and do it right, you'll just be doing the whole thing over again anyway, so make your backtracks as short as possible by just starting off on the right foot and feeling 100% good about it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts