HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

An Old Series Reborn, and a Question about POV

So I've been hemming and hawing about my next writing project for a while, trying to decide what to tackle next. While I do need to get cracking on Simulated Conspiracy, I have a bunch of other projects piled up, and I like to switch things around so that it seems like less of a chore.

I decided to dig out a copy of the very first novel I ever wrote. To give you an idea of just how long it's been, I wrote that story on my very first PC, an 8086 processor with two (count 'em, two!) 5.25 inch floppy drives and a whopping 768k of memory running MS-DOS. The book was printed out using a dot matrix printer.

I never tried to get the story (and its sequel) published; it was just for fun, although I shared it with a few friends and family. The copyright date is 1985, nearly 30 years ago. The books have been, quite literally, sitting on my shelf ever since.

The idea was to simply transcribe the books quickly and then decide whether I wanted to publish them myself. The task is proving to be more challenging than I anticipated. I recycled some old computer fan-fold paper (so that the back of every page contains program documentation for the project I was working on at the time) and the ribbon on my printer was drying out (so the print is very faint). I'm also editing some of the scenes so that they actually make better sense, although the original story is holding up reasonably well.

In any event, I'll plug through this and see where I end up. Since I can't seem to start a new project without creating covers for the future publication, here's the set for this series:

It's a fantasy series following the adventures of Sir Ian Thornton (the eponymous Sir Thorn) in a land called Erinmore. I might actually get around to finishing the trilogy, once the first two are whipped back into shape.

Anyway, on to my POV question. So far, all my stories have been told from the perspective of the main character, either in third person or in first person. In these stories, I jump around a bit; the viewpoint is primarily Ian's, but I occasionally jump elsewhere to fill in some action or events that Ian doesn't witness.

What's the best way to make the transitions between views? The reader can tell from the dialogue, of course, but I'd like to make the change a bit more obvious, so that he/she isn't thinking "Weren't we just on the road heading west? Why are we back in the castle? Oh, wait, I see what happened. Carry on."

I was thinking of inserting a blank line between POVs as a visual break, but is that effective or distracting? The segments aren't generally long enough to make them into separate chapters, but I suppose that could work as well. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Gilfindel; 04-05-2014 at 07:16 AM.

Rogue Mutt
    Having the same cover graphic might get confusing. At least tint them with a different color to separate them.

Actually, I had meant to give them a gold, silver and copper tint, but got distracted with other matters. I'll update them in a bit. Although maybe this way, readers will accidentally buy the same book two or three times by accident and I'll earn more money. Hmm...

Okey-doke, the metallic tints are in place. I also shrank the title font on The Rowan Shield by about 10%, since it looked inconsistent with the others. Of course, since I overwrote the images on the server, you can't see what they looked like before, but trust me, they're better now ;-)

Yeah, I immediately thought bronze, silver, gold for the colors.

I've always been prejudiced against the Olde English font. It's kind of hard to read just by itself, and then you put it on top of that crest and give it a metallic color like the background...it just kind of all blends together, and I don't like it. You gotta work to read it.

I think you want a more simple, pointy, sword-y font, maybe like Friz Quadrata Bold, and use primary colors. Use yellow for the bronze, blue for the silver, and green or red for the gold. Put "Sir Thorn" in two lines. I like "Tales of Erinmore Book X" at the top - like the spacing, font, and color - looks good. Your name looks too high, nudge it down a bit. That's about all I'd try, off the top of my head.

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by John Oberon View Post
    Yeah, I immediately thought bronze, silver, gold for the colors.

I've always been prejudiced against the Olde English font. It's kind of hard to read just by itself, and then you put it on top of that crest and give it a metallic color like the background...it just kind of all blends together, and I don't like it. You gotta work to read it.

I think you want a more simple, pointy, sword-y font, maybe like Friz Quadrata Bold, and use primary colors. Use yellow for the bronze, blue for the silver, and green or red for the gold. Put "Sir Thorn" in two lines. I like "Tales of Erinmore Book X" at the top - like the spacing, font, and color - looks good. Your name looks too high, nudge it down a bit. That's about all I'd try, off the top of my head.
    I agree about the font. Old English is especially hard to read when the cover is shrunk down to fit on a site. That other font looks interesting; I might have to download it later. Fonts are always a headache when making a cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilfindel View Post
    I wrote that story on my very first PC, an 8086 processor with two (count 'em, two!) 5.25 inch floppy drives and a whopping 768k of memory running MS-DOS.
    Phew! Did you carbon date that fossil? Seriously though, rewriting affords you the opportunity to plan sequels, or correct deficiencies in the original based on what you know now.

Quote Originally Posted by Author Pendragin View Post
    Phew! Did you carbon date that fossil? Seriously though, rewriting affords you the opportunity to plan sequels, or correct deficiencies in the original based on what you know now.
    lol, I had to blow a bit of dust off before I could get started. I've transcribed about a third of the first book so far (about 60 pages or so), and I've discovered a few plot holes and discrepancies that need to be addressed, which has slowed down my progress somewhat, but it's chugging along. It's interesting to see how my writing style has evolved over the intervening decades, but it's still easily recognizable as mine. As I go, the ideas I had for the third story are slowly coming back; I should probably write them down at some point...