HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: $5 Wasted

Quote Originally Posted by Gilfindel View Post
    I went on a business trip this week and grabbed a couple of e-books from Amazon to pass the time on the plane. One of them was a paranormal urban fantasy thing that looked like it might be a pleasant read. Sadly, it proved to be an excellent example of why self-published authors really need an impartial second opinion before they hit that "submit" button.

The characters were clichéd and sketchy, the plot was obscure, the dialog was awkward, and the narrative was verbose and repetitive. I got through the first 80 pages or so, and then I couldn't take it anymore. I didn't care about the heroine or her situation, and I found myself cringing every time I turned the page, wondering what new literary horror awaited me. This is one of only a handful of books I've read over the years that I couldn't force myself to finish.

I've been pretty good at picking out books that I enjoy based on the blurbs, and this one had promise. It also had a decent number of very positive ratings, so I thought I was in good shape. Fortunately, I'm only out of pocket by about $5, but how the heck did a book this awful get rated so high?

I won't impugn the author's reputation here, unless you're on the verge of purchasing a paranormal urban fantasy, but I felt the need to vent a bit. If only he or she (I can't actually tell from the author's name) had come here first for some advice...
    I'm sorry you had that experience with an Amazon self published book. I can tell you there are success stories out there. I know of at least three personally. Two of them had never published before and the other was a published writer who recently went to ebooks. The first one now has a movie deal and a traditional publisher offered him a contract which he turned down since he is making more as an "indy" that he would with a traditional publisher. The second one now has a traditional book contract and is working on a mini-series offer. The third was already a successful author.
    Last edited by Marburg759; 01-21-2015 at 07:42 PM.

I wasn't condemning self-published books in general (I have five myself), just that one in particular. Amazon, Nook, and other services like them make it incredibly easy for good authors to get their works out there for little or no cost. Unfortunately, they also make it easy for bad authors to get their works out there, and it's not always easy to tell the difference based on a cover and a short blurb.

Just consider it a charitable contribution to a struggling writer.

Of course, if their writing doesn't improve, you might be partially responsible for Horrible Book Part 2.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tinman View Post
    Just consider it a charitable contribution to a struggling writer.

Of course, if their writing doesn't improve, you might be partially responsible for Horrible Book Part 2.
    Lol, very true! It occurs to me that I never posted a rating for that unfortunate piece of literature, so I failed in my duty to warn off other prospective buyers. I'd better go take care of that...