HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Continuing stories or separate stories?

For me personally, I've always been a big fan of trilogies and sagas. Stories that keep on going and continue to add depth with each new book. Sometimes they aren't done justice and it really is a shame, but when done right, you end the story with fully developed characters, relationships, and tons of great plot twists leading up to a well put together end. Others of course like writing/reading separate stories that last only for the one book. Which one do you generally find yourself preferring?

In general, I enjoy well-written series with characters that I've become emotionally invested in. The challenge for the author is how to keep things consistent but fresh: I don't want the characters to suddenly change who they are for the sake of some dramatic episode, but I also don't want to read the same story over and over again with different names. After a while, the author may end up "jumping the shark", at which point I'll just give up on the series and move on. So far, Jim Butcher's Dresden series has kept me going, but I lost interest in Piers Anthony's Xanth a long time ago.

When I was young, fantasy series hooked me: Tarzan, The Martian Chronicals, Conan, Hitchhiker's Guide, etc. Now I typically read non-fiction or philosophy. Guess I've grown old and crusty.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilfindel View Post
    In general, I enjoy well-written series with characters that I've become emotionally invested in. The challenge for the author is how to keep things consistent but fresh: I don't want the characters to suddenly change who they are for the sake of some dramatic episode, but I also don't want to read the same story over and over again with different names.
    I think this pretty much sums it up for me. It is definitely a challenge, and greatly depends on how much you can expand the concept from the original book and still make it reasonable.

I personally love to see good character development. To watch characters grow and become better people and change certain things, that can eventually lead to a surprise situation.

If the book is good, I want a series, definitely. The reader becomes invested in the character's lives and growth, I think.

"It is definitely a challenge, and greatly depends on how much you can expand the concept from the original book and still make it reasonable." -Wickett

That was excellently worded, and I agree wholeheartedly. There have been both series that I wished I wouldn't have wasted my time on, and books where I desperately waited for a sequel that never came. As for general taste, I find I typically prefer a good series. If I find a story I want to hang out with, proverbially speaking, I want enough material to get to know it really well.

Quote Originally Posted by JQGinger View Post
    "It is definitely a challenge, and greatly depends on how much you can expand the concept from the original book and still make it reasonable." -Wickett

That was excellently worded, and I agree wholeheartedly. There have been both series that I wished I wouldn't have wasted my time on, and books where I desperately waited for a sequel that never came. As for general taste, I find I typically prefer a good series. If I find a story I want to hang out with, proverbially speaking, I want enough material to get to know it really well.
    This lady right here is cool. She manually typed my name instead of using a Quote button. Hats off to you, miss. Heheh.

I'm still enjoying the same manga, though I often times wish I was writing it. I could do wonders with this plot and characters.

Haha, that was mostly because I couldn't get the quote function to work right in the first place. But thanks anyway!