HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

BEFORE i post...

I want to make sure i'm not breaking any rules of the site. while i didn't see any restrictions on language of submissions, i still feel the need to clarify.

i'd prefer anyone finding themselves offended by my work, for the incident to have been achieved deliberately so that i am able to provide the offended party the greatest volume of specially tailored wordplay prepared individually for maximum outrage from which to advertise my achievements as a morally reprehensible degenerate deviant. its the passion of such heated endorsements that reaches potential clients unfamiliar with my particular villainy that are otherwise unaware.

but seriously...

i am aware that this an adult site dedicated to genres in which all manner of questionable actions are usually found.

i suspect that my work has such violent acts in excess of the legal limits established under federal law. the only reason i have the clearance to share select portions at all is due to the fact that my legal team used a loophole that basically amounted to allowing any work of fiction void of nudity or sexual depictions is granted provisional license to unlimited numbers of gruesome deaths and foul language.

congress is currently working overtime to have this law revised before floodgates of ultra-violence burst in the streets.

....ok... moving along....

the damned story is just vile... it's a mean spirited, horror tale in constant struggle between the rather logical thoughts of ****ing lunatics, sheer unadulterated madness not even my lawyers will admit of the existence of and demolitions. that's right, blowing things up.

so... writings this graphic in nature allowed to lower the digital property values of more refined and respectable genre specific literature?

I wouldn't characterize this as an "adult" site. There are several teen members who come here to learn a bit more about the craft of writing and to improve their literary efforts. If your material is inappropriate for that audience, I suggest you refrain from posting it here.

The impression I've gotten from your postings so far is that your goal is to shock us with the depth of depravity in your writing. If so, don't bother. We're here to help aspiring and established writers learn from each other; it's not the place to post "look what I wrote" pieces. If you'd like opinions on portions of your work with an eye to making them better, feel free to post them (in bite-size chunks, no more than 1000 words) and we'll provide our feedback. If we consider your subject matter offensive, we'll tell you that too. If we believe you're just trolling us, that will be the last we see of you. Fair warning.

i appreciate your response, but i fear you have taken much of my post at face value when my intend was to present a valid concern of mine through a humorous context. since this is all you have been exposed to in relation to me, i am blame for your misconceptions surrounding myself and my work.

my only explanation behind the content of the post is simply a reaction to the great deal of frustrations i'm experiencing as a someone looking to share my work for the first time compounded by the exhaustion of my professional and articulate attempts with generating interest on any level failing in every instance. the internet is overcrowded with authors politely requesting you read their work and i decided that instead of continuing an approach consistently proving ineffective, i would explore angles that i thought were unique and distinctive enough to perhaps pique some curiosity.

i assure you that my intentions do not include trolling and what contents are present in my work are easily established as relevant in some fashion. i had hoped to suggest as much by claiming a complete lack of depictions of sex or any other sexual content for that matter. had my goals been to expose readers to extreme acts of depravity created explicitly for shock value, i imagine making claims that my work is free of sexual themes would've been counterproductive. nor would imagine any logical reason behind inquiring about acceptable content and wait for a response before simply making it available in complete disregard to site policy. the glaring fact that i have still refrained from providing any material was something that i had hoped would provide the smallest of factors suggesting that i, in fact, have a legitimate concern while proceeding with caution.

look, i'm not here to waste anyone's time, lest of all my own. however, the situation remains that i have devoted myself to the creation and completion of something currently residing as an undertaking that has altered the course of my life in a personal and professional capacity. it is a great source of personal pride in its scope, scale and contents that were painstakingly developed over several years and has grown well beyond my what i thought it could be and written in a strange elegance of language that is constantly exceeding what i believed myself capable of producing.

but i still stand behind my questioning of whether or not it would be appropriate on this site. this is a thread devoted to horror. horror at its finest is not suitable for children, the weak of heart or those with aversions to the very elements central to the themes of the genre. that single clue should suggest perhaps that i understand horror creations oftentimes contain all manner of things considered to offensive and unfit for public consumption. the work i have created contains situations that could be seen in the same light. the characters are people in situations beyond their understanding. humans in everyday situations are capable of all manner of atrocities. humans in situations defying everything they thought was real potentially could drive people to even stranger behaviors.

these are the very cornerstones of how horror is defined.

is my work graphically violent? very much so. is full of detailed depictions of human suffering. indeed. do the characters have thoughts, feelings and actions that are not necessarily moral or civilized. well, yes, they're humans- and people that are not always complete paragons of virtue and proper righteousness.

and not a single word gratuitous in nature, but serving to communicate some vital element central to the whole.

now... having explained myself and my reasons for my inquiry in far greater detail than should've been necessary to have proven the validity of the discussion and the nature of my work i have shown a great deal of respect for the site and members in delaying its presentation.

i would be happy to provide links or privately emailed sections to the appropriate parties to ensure suitability.

however, i come to forums such as these seeking to improve my craft and learn methods of refining that i cannot see as the creator. as such, i refuse to censor my writing on the grounds that it would diminish the experience and deny readers of the full grasp of what my characters endure.

Fair enough, and I apologize for misconstruing your intent. I will point out that your response is far in excess of what was needed to make your point. If this is a typical example of your prose, we're going to have a tough slog ahead of us.

I have to disagree with your definition of horror, though. Some of the best examples of horror in classic literature involve no gore or graphic depictions of violence. Nonetheless, post a representative sample and let's have a look. If you insist on including content of a graphic nature, please indicate that in the thread title, so that the readers know what they're getting into.

i appreciate your understanding and willingness to resolve this misunderstanding. i accept that i share in the responsibility of your initial impression for which i apologize. in the future, i will be more aware of how my posts could be misunderstood and make efforts to prevent further incidents from happening.

i do apologize for the breadth of my rebuttal, haha. as a former soldier, i've been conditioned to react to possible threats with disproportionately overwhelming force- not the best trait, to be sure, but one that usually eliminates unnecessarily prolonged conflicts. and i concede your point, lol. in my defense, my hasty reaction didn't get the attention of multiple revisions like my writings benefit from.

my approach to writing has been to put down every possible idea during flights of inspiration and go back later and trim down based on what best suits the flow, narrative and intent behind the composition. i'll be the first to admit i have a habit to put down more than is needed and a have a long road of hacking down the excess language in my future. but, like many other aspects of writing, it's something i wished to seek the wisdom of others and what their thoughts may be.

and i do acknowledge your point on horror elements, there's no denying the fact implied carnage can be more effective than displayed bloodshed. it's one of my beliefs that the focus on gore has detracted from the majority of horror offering rather than elevating them. i think a carefully maintained balance achieves the best effect. my point wasn't to suggest my endorsement of or reliance upon that attribute primarily, but that it's presence is included and may not have been appropriate.

your solution is a more than acceptable means of progressing. if my work is to be found acceptable for submission, i find no reason not to provide warnings of graphic content. i'll happily agree to label threads for the benefit of other members.

i truly appreciate being able to find a resolution with you on this. i apologize for the trouble and any inappropriate behavior over the matter and i thank you for your ability to approach the problem with mature attitude. you have definitely earned my respect out of this ordeal. i'm looking forward to future discussions with you, i suspect there's much more we have in common that i initially had thought.