HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Horror

Horror

I love a good horror book. Which of these do you feel had the best plot or story line or even the best characters for a story?

http://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-li...ks-of-all-time

I am leaning towards The Shining. I love Stephen King and also think that the story line was epic.

there's only a few books there that i really enjoyed. would you care to elaborate on the qualities that you feel make them great?

I am leaning towards The Shining. I love Stephen King and also think that the story line was epic.

I know The Shining consistently shows up on readers' favorite King stories, but I never cared for it. To me, Doctor Sleep was much better. My favorite King novel is Salems Lot. And even though King is my favorite author, my favorite book is They Thirst by Robert R McCammon. Does it have the best plot or storyline? Beats me. It's hard to separate plot, characters, and the actual writing.

I used to enjoy King's work quite a bit when i was younger. now i find it too dry with poor pacing and not enough resolution.

i'm not familiar with McCammon, i'll have to check his stuff out. personally, i have too many favorites to list, but one that i've been thinking about lately is The Missing by Sarah Langan. it's a great story, well told and with amazing character development. there were a few scenes that made me squeamish that i found questionable, but that aside, i can't say enough positive things about it.

i'm curious, if you have difficulty separating plot, characters and the medium they're presented in, what is it you look for something to be considered a quality work?

Rodentsoldier.

Sorry, I spent about 15 minutes writing a reply, but half the time this stupid site logs me out before I can post -- which it just did again.

If you decide to read McCammon (Pres of the HWA), his short story collection, Blue World, is great.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tinman View Post
    Rodentsoldier.

Sorry, I spent about 15 minutes writing a reply, but half the time this stupid site logs me out before I can post -- which it just did again.

If you decide to read McCammon (Pres of the HWA), his short story collection, Blue World, is great.
    Hey just a quick note, if you tick the little Remember Me box when you log in that problem shouldn't happen for you. Sorry about the lost post by the way. That's every forumer's nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickett View Post
    Hey just a quick note, if you tick the little Remember Me box when you log in that problem shouldn't happen for you..
    Wickett. Okay, thanks, I'll give that a try. I've been having that problem on here for a year or more. I've used three different computers in that time, and three different OSs (XP, Vista, and now Windows 7). Maybe it's Firefox or my Norton antivirus causing it. If the stay logged in idea works maybe I can post more than a few sentences, lol. Thanks again.

The Shining was put together really well, Stephen took a year to write that piece of work and it shows with the attention to detail. I'm sure he edited and re-edited and re-edited some more with how well it was pieced together. I enjoyed reading having already watched the film, and enjoyed the mini series later on too. Especially having read the book and then seeing it come to life exactly as the story panned out.