HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thoughts on Inkshares

So I was recently told about a new option from a friend of mine. They are called Inkshares Inc. Basically they use crowdfunding to help authors get published and recognized. It sounds like a decent idea, but I'm not too sure about the idea of putting my idea and/or chapters of my work on the internet where anyone could copy and use it if I don't already have it copyrighted. So I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about this new company and whether or not they are a good option to pursue. So far I haven't found anything negative about them on the internet, but nothing positive either. They may just be too new to tell yet. Thanks.

Rebecca

My son plans to do crowdfunding for a software game he wrote. I guess it's okay, but I couldn't do it. You retain all your rights and get paid a hefty chunk of the profits. I'm not seeing any red flags. Though, you do grant them the right to offer your book on their site, and that never goes away.

I guess I'm old school. If a person wanted investors, he found a few people who had significant funds to invest and expected a return on their investment. Here, you're just finding a bunch of people who don't mind giving you a teensy bit of money for nothing in return. For myself, I'd sooner pay the expenses myself than beg like that. But that's just me - it goes against my principles, the idea that I need to take the risk and earn my own way myself. I'm not saying anything negative about people who do this...more power to them, and good on them if they get the money they need, but I couldn't do it myself.

Rogue Mutt
    Unless the writer has some credentials I don't see any reason I'd want to crowdfund someone's novel. There are so many books out there already. And as far as an investment goes you're better off buying a few shares of Apple.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I'd sooner put money into my own book than into someone else's. At least with Inkshare, you can't contribute to your own book to make it seem like there's interest, but that doesn't prevent recruitment. I don't know...the whole "something for nothing" routine rubs me the wrong way. If someone gives me money, I'm paying them back with interest, and that's the end of that tune.

You know, another thing I don't understand is what do these people do with this money? I'm reading some of their reasoning for asking for money, and I'm thinking, "Really? You can't pay for a trip to another city to interview someone?" Some of them don't even have a reasons, and you can't convince me that a person can't write a book without financial backing. The whole thing just smells a bit.

But...I guess if people want to give their money away - more power to them.
    Last edited by John Oberon; 02-28-2014 at 05:34 AM.

A friend of mine used a similar "crowdfunding" system to finance an upstart coffee shop. In his case, he was required to return for an interview a year later to tell how it worked. I just don't see this type of thing working too well for publishing a book, but more power to you if you can get it!