HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Capitalization

Capitalization

Is dear capitalized? would it be if speaker said, Dear Carla?

Then breathlessly, “Uh-oh. I have to go dear. Mr. Blaufeld is calling me.” She hung up.

She used "dear" as a proper title, in place of the person's name, so yes it would be capitalized. Also, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there should be a comma after "go" and before "Dear".

You're correct about the comma, but I disagree about the capitalization. In this context, it seems to be a term of endearment, like "lovey" or "darling", which would not be capitalized. The "Dear Carla" reference is ambiguous, since it's actually the beginning of a quote, near as I can tell (given the absence of actual quotes), but at best it's an adjective referring to Carla, not a title.

Gil is correct. No cap unless it's at the beginning of a sentence or it's some kind of name like John Dear. "Dear" is not a proper title. Anyone can call anybody "dear".

So how do explain the fact that "Dad" is capitalized when you're using it in place of the dad's name? It's either, "Hey, it's my dad!", or, "Hey, Dad!". What would make "dear" different?

Dad is a proper title because it applies to a specific person who fills a specific relation to a specific person. It is an identity. "Dear" has no specificity. Anyone can be a "dear". A proper title distinguishes a person from other people.