HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Literary agent for mathematical or philosophical fiction?

I know, I know - it's an abstract and unsalable topic (but an important one I think). I've recently finished my novel regarding these, however, and am ready to start querying agents. So far I've submitted one query to a top-tier agent (who responded back looking for a partial and an exclusive window!). Which is great, but I want to start preparing for subsequent queries. I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for any agents who might be tempted into such esoteric waters, that might have prior experience with math or philosophy within the context of fiction. Any thoughts at all would help. Thanks in advance for any tips!
    Last edited by sbarari; 02-04-2014 at 10:08 PM.

Rogue Mutt
    I'm skeptical when someone says they submitted only one query to a top-tier agent and got a partial with an exclusive window. But then I'm not sure what the gag is. Anyway, go look on Agent Query or Google it. The other idea is to find books like yours and see if the author lists an agent in the acknowledgements. And don't say, "No one else has a book like mine!" Because that's simply not true.

Thanks Rogue. I've definitely been threshing Google and the agent listings, but very few agents explicitly state that these are their fields of interest. Understandably so - it's a rare bird. I've extensively combed the field for books like mine - it's an existent but proscribed universe - totaling about a half-dozen or so works. I've certainly read these and scoured their acknowledgements, but most don't list an agent. Point being that I've been doing a thorough job of the 'standard' approach, and was really wondering if anyone here might have an actual agent in mind that they're familiar with who might be interested in these subjects.

I don't see how you think philosophical fiction is a "rare bird" or "unsalable". Camus, Sartre, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Melville...I mean there's passels of philosophical fiction out there, just tons. Maybe you have a different definition of "philosophical fiction".

Sorry for the confusion ... it's that there is more overt meta-philosophical content than in the works of those authors you've just listed, as in literal discussions of say, rationalism, empiricism, modernism, existentialism, post-structuralism, etc. throughout the book. But perhaps more importantly it leans much more heavily on the mathematical philosophy, including the usual suspects: non-Euclidean geometry, the logic of Frege and Russell, Cantor's continuum hypothesis, Gödelian incompleteness, etc. Hope that clarifies a bit!

Well, it doesn't sound much like fiction to me. I suppose you could have some characters, maybe even resurrect Euclid and some others for these discussions, but that's not really fiction, if you ask me. It would be something more like a play.