HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Simulated Assault assails the charts!

I'm delighted to announce that, after some six months of typing, my latest novel, Simulated Assault is finally available on Amazon.com. This is the second story in the Simulated Crime series, and picks up the action a few months after the exciting events in the award-winning, best-selling Simulated Murder. (Note that the awards and sales are, like the books, complete works of fiction.)

Whew, this one was almost like work, mostly because real work got in the way for a while. I expect I'll still have to go back and tweak things a bit once I have the hard copy in my hands, since I inevitably miss a few typos and grammatical errors despite multiple SPAG (Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar) editing sessions. Still, I'm pleased with the results, and I hope those of you who decide to acquire a copy feel the same way.

The Kindle/e-book version is available now, and the paper version should be available in the next couple of days.

Blargh, I was right, a whole bunch of typos. Hopefully everything's fixed up now (fingers crossed).

I messed up the image link above, here's the working version:

You're using the same cover art and just changing the color and crime? Don't you want something a little different?

Nah, the plan was always to keep a consistent look. If I get bored somewhere down the road, I'll likely redo the theme, possibly focusing on Jen (since she's the MC) rather than the sims. The possibilities are endless...

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by John Oberon View Post
    You're using the same cover art and just changing the color and crime? Don't you want something a little different?
    A lot of book series go for the same general look. It's part of branding. Like this (if the picture link works):

Good, the link worked, at least for me. And BTW for whatever reason the first book is in the center with the second book on the left and third book on the right.

Huh. Well, I'm all for a consistent style or "look", but not for all the same elements in all the same places. Some elements can be in the same places I guess, but not ALL of them. I'm not cookie-cutter when it comes to art and design.

Gil, how about you at least try a cold, icy blue for the color, like "cold-blooded", lol, and maybe make the little guy black with a some jaggedy red cracks in him? You know, that little guy could be a foil for the title. And then for Simulated Conspiracy you could have a bunch of little guys in there like bowling pins, lol. SOMEthing different.

Lol, is this what you had in mind?

I get what you guys are saying, but I'm limited by the background image I chose for the first book; there aren't any variations on that specific theme available, other than what I can apply to it (such as color and text). Now that I'm on a writing hiatus (I'm still figuring out the plot for my daughter's steampunk horror novel), I have some time to play around with fun stuff like cover art.

I like the graphic color, but the title is too purple. More blue there, try a dark blue. For the little guy, I was thinking of more prominent red cracks going through his body and limbs, you know, like a broken body, to symbolize the affect of an assault. Actually, no...you could have that white background showing through the cracks. Just kind of jagged breaks with that white background showing through. That might be better than red.
    Last edited by John Oberon; 01-15-2014 at 07:44 PM.

Here you go:

I don't recall if I showed these when I started Simulated Murder, but these were some early concepts that I almost went with. The theme is the same, but the images are different in each. It's a bit hard to see with this size, but the text filling the silhouettes is a random binary sequence.

Last edited by Gilfindel; 01-15-2014 at 08:32 PM.

Still no good. That graphic is a tint of an aqua blue. Make the title 100% of that same color. And the cracks are wrong. Make them jaggedy and radiating out from the center of his chest, the point of impact, like something hit him and he cracked. Put some branches to the cracks - you've seen that kind of thing, haven't you?