HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I have a mental prejudice against first person present. For some reason, it just grates me. For example, suppose I read this sentence:

I vault over Anak's head as his saber slashes through empty air.

Now I know that action happened in the past, and the hero is writing about it now in present tense because that's how he likes to tell his story, but for some reason, the amusing thought repeatedly enters my mind that the hero is writing this down at the same time he vaults over Anak's head to dodge the saber. I can't help it. It's like a mental tick that just irritates me to no end, and I can't enjoy first person present because of it. Those with normal brains have no problem with it, I'm sure, lol. But me, my brain constantly pesters me with oh, right...you're writing this down as you throttle the villain, or hump the girl, or whatever.

However, I still say first person present is difficult to write consistently and presents problems in expression that don't exist with past.

By the way, I had the same feeling about that "hastily", but I thought this could be Sci-Fi, and maybe whoever has a way to create caves double-quick, so I left it.

Yes, first person present is difficult for reasons mentioned above.

First person past is very common and gives the writer more room to "maneuver."

Cur

First person requires you be more in the skin of the character, and you have to be careful because it's a very tight POV that usually includes a lot of internal dialogue; you have to watch you don't end up writing it all on-the-nose.

Quote Originally Posted by John Oberon View Post
    I have a mental prejudice against first person present. For some reason, it just grates me. For example, suppose I read this sentence:

I vault over Anak's head as his saber slashes through empty air.

Now I know that action happened in the past, and the hero is writing about it now in present tense because that's how he likes to tell his story, but for some reason, the amusing thought repeatedly enters my mind that the hero is writing this down at the same time he vaults over Anak's head to dodge the saber. I can't help it. It's like a mental tick that just irritates me to no end, and I can't enjoy first person present because of it. Those with normal brains have no problem with it, I'm sure, lol. But me, my brain constantly pesters me with oh, right...you're writing this down as you throttle the villain, or hump the girl, or whatever.

However, I still say first person present is difficult to write consistently and presents problems in expression that don't exist with past.

By the way, I had the same feeling about that "hastily", but I thought this could be Sci-Fi, and maybe whoever has a way to create caves double-quick, so I left it.
    First person present doesn't bother me but I do see your point, and how it could affect others differently. In general, I'm not as keen on first person as I am third person. To me, third person tells a story better.

i tend to agree with the support of 3rd person perspective. however, i've recently conducted an experiment where i've taken segments of my novel in progress and re-wrote them from the view of one of the characters experiencing them. they've been really helpful exercises in writing. i've since been blogging the journal entries as a way to get some interest in what i'm doing. it could turn into something of its own down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by rodentsoldier View Post
    i tend to agree with the support of 3rd person perspective. however, i've recently conducted an experiment where i've taken segments of my novel in progress and re-wrote them from the view of one of the characters experiencing them. they've been really helpful exercises in writing. i've since been blogging the journal entries as a way to get some interest in what i'm doing. it could turn into something of its own down the line.
    That's actually a really neat idea. I can only imagine how many great lines that could produce from supporting characters.