HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Experimental fiction defined?

So I find myself engaged in what I call experimental fiction: a non-linear, non-character driven, multi-layered, multi-volume project with 500 chapters per volume.

500.6 Volume 1 - came out last week for Kindle, volume 2 will be out later this month.

My first two books were a collection of poetry & a meditation book, so experimental fiction is very new for me.

Anyone have any suggestions for me to read in this genre?

Good lord, those better be some pretty short chapters!

While I've only read a few of the authors on this list, it's a pretty good list. Also consider stories by Ben Marcus or Amelia Gray

As for your own books, I have to agree that 500 chapters might be overwhelming to prospective readers if the chapters are more than a few pages each. Still, good luck.

Rogue Mutt
    Unless you're someone well known like Thomas Pynchon or David Foster Wallace then I doubt you'll find much interest for your rambling tomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Covieo View Post
    So I find myself engaged in what I call experimental fiction: a non-linear, non-character driven, multi-layered, multi-volume project with 500 chapters per volume.

500.6 Volume 1 - came out last week for Kindle, volume 2 will be out later this month.

My first two books were a collection of poetry & a meditation book, so experimental fiction is very new for me.

Anyone have any suggestions for me to read in this genre?

Thanks for the list Cathy! And yes the chapters are very short - Volume 1 is approx. 140 pages.

Listening now, I have had on blinders to the fact that potential readers may be overwhelmed with the idea of 500 chapters, so I may need to include the page count with the chapter count when marketing. Thank you all for the feedback

One doesn't usually quote chapter counts when advertising books. It's normally page count or word count.

This book is definitely non-traditional in most every way, so in theory I wouldn't be opposed to continuing quoting chapter counts. In reality I see how that contradicts the goal of getting the words into the hands of readers.

The largest conundrum I'm in with this book is I can't seem to find anything like it for a comparison of markets. Also I keep falling into the trap of judging it on the basis of 'normal' books. Yes I understand normal is inadequate.

Any chance of some samples?