HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mutt View Post
    Truth hurts, don't it bub? Whining about me being a meanie doesn't change it either, just makes you look like a first grader.
    Well, you being a meanie is only hurting yourself. I'm just putting in my two cents worth that you stop doing that.

After all, what do you get out of it?

And yes you are right, the truth does hurt. In the face of the horrendous suffering in human society created by aggression, to see someone consciously, deliberately add to that, it hurts a great deal.
    Last edited by Craig CPM; 11-14-2013 at 07:01 AM.

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig CPM View Post
    Well, you being a meanie is only hurting yourself. I'm just putting in my two cents worth that you stop doing that.
    Ooh you're right, I might lose the respect of all three people who still use this site regularly. lol

Yeah you should get in on that.
    I already am...as you well know, lol.

Ooh you're right, I might lose the respect of all three people who still use this site regularly. lol
    There is no danger of losing the respect of others for people of character; the danger lies in losing respect for others.

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by John Oberon View Post
    There is no danger of losing the respect of others for people of character; the danger lies in losing respect for others.
    Thanks for that, Master Yoda.

Don't mention it...please.

Craig -- glad that you you've received some useful information here. I think the idea that only famous people publish memoirs reflects someone who doesn't read a lot of memoirs. I'm thinking fondly of books like The Tender Bar, The Liars' Club, A Boy's Life (or from the other brother's perspective, The Duke of Deception), Girl Interrupted, Asa As I Knew Him, etc. I see notes from many agents who are actively looking for wonderful memoirs like these. I would encourage you to look for fellow memoir writers with the idea of finding a critique group or doing manuscript exchanges. Another possibility is to attend workshops -- I took a great memoir workshop at the Iowa Summer Writer's Program at the University of Iowa from Marilyn Abildskov (another unfamous writer who has published a memoir). Attending such a session is another way to connect with potential critique partners. If you haven't already done so, I would give a critique site like CritiqueCircle or Scribophile a shot. You can submit excerpts and will likely find folks who seem able to connect with your work. Finally, I would consider working on stand-alone sections of your book and submitting them to journals like Creative Nonfiction and Memoir Journal or publications that match your content. (I recently published a piece on my experience at a summer camp back in the early 60's in a journal that had an issue devoted to summer camping.) Getting such credits will go a long way to helping you jump over the many hurdles to publishing a full memoir.

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Tabak View Post
    Craig -- glad that you you've received some useful information here. I think the idea that only famous people publish memoirs reflects someone who doesn't read a lot of memoirs.
    You should try actually reading the words I wrote. I said memoirs are hard to get published unless you're famous, not that ONLY famous people publish memoirs. Completely different meaning. Since he hasn't posted anything about the subject matter I can't say for certain, but the fact that a publisher and three agents have passed tells me it probably doesn't have enough sizzle for anyone to notice.

Hey guys, let's talk about books. Heh.

But yeah, $30 an hour, I'm in. I'll fake it till they catch on and make some easy dough.

You should try actually reading the words I wrote. I said memoirs are hard to get published unless you're famous, not that ONLY famous people publish memoirs. Completely different meaning. Since he hasn't posted anything about the subject matter I can't say for certain, but the fact that a publisher and three agents have passed tells me it probably doesn't have enough sizzle for anyone to notice.
    What it tells me is that one publisher and three agents have asked to see the complete manuscript (I'm assuming that's what he means by "in the hands of"). To me, that's encouraging. And if these are the only people to whom he's sent it so far, that's even more encouraging. I wouldn't doubt the quality of my book after only 3 or 4 tries. Maybe 30 or 40 tries...but that's just me.