HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Doctor Sleep

Doctor Sleep

I'm reading Doctor Sleep -- just finishing Chapter 7 -- and I'm struggling to stay involved. Anyone else reading it?

Never heard of it, and I'm too lazy to look it up. What's it about, and why is it failing to hold your attention?

Maybe the book is a cure for insomnia. Good title, if it is.

Rogue Mutt
    I haven't read The Shining so obviously I'm not going to read the sequel. It would help too if they didn't charge like $14 for the ebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilfindel View Post
    Never heard of it, and I'm too lazy to look it up. What's it about, and why is it failing to hold your attention?
    Stephen King's continuation of The Shining; one of the protags is the little boy who survived the hotel. I don't know why it was failing to hold my attention. I was going to ask anyone who's read it, if they had the same reaction. I'm halfway in now, though, and it's much better.

Quote Originally Posted by John Oberon View Post
    Maybe the book is a cure for insomnia. Good title, if it is.
    Lol@John

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mutt View Post
    I haven't read The Shining so obviously I'm not going to read the sequel. It would help too if they didn't charge like $14 for the ebook.
    Lmao@$14. Yeah, $14 is ridiculous for most ebooks. I wouldn't pay that even for the hardback. Luckily, I was first to ask the local library if they were going to receive it, and they held it back for me.

I read The Shining, but I didn't like it--mostly because to me it seemed to be all tease. After so many pages of foreplay something needs to happen, and someone being frightened wasn't enough for me. Anyway, as I said, it's far better now. I'll let everyone know if I liked it, after I'm through reading.

Okay. I finished it. I give it a solid 4 stars. It took too long to get started and there were some slow parts, or I would have given it 4 1/2 stars. It was way better than The Shining.

Wow. Want to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by SapphireBlue View Post
    Wow. Want to read it.
    You should, but bear in mind it's far different from The Shining. No real hauntings and not many ghosts.