HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Back

Yeah, thanks Kid. The smartphone is an Android Samsung S2. It has a text editor which takes 1,500 characters which translates to around 250 words, I'm filling two of them a day more or less at present which is about 500 words, you just have to remember which order you write them in :-)

The good thing about the Samsung phones is you have Swype, once you get used to it, it's really fast. I'm finding it's really convenient to sit there with a coffee or at lunch and spend 20 minutes writing.

Gave the touch screen another shot. Managed to put down 200 or so words (crap, but that's not the point) during my lunch break. Perhaps that feedback I mentioned earlier isn't as necessary as I had thought.

I installed Polaris Office on my S3 after buying the phone. Only used it for minor editing, but you can loud up your entire ms, delete, add, save in whatever file type you prefer. Just copy and paste to your computer. Might free up your evenings a bit.

Btw, good post. Thanks.

Have either of you ever used an iPhone? Unbeatable auto correct. You can hit the general vicinity and it knows what you mean. You're never going to be able to text as smoothly on a Samsung phone. Anyway, that's just the tech coming out in me. I would definitely try something else though.

Android hater.

I think T-Mobile carries the 5 now. Been thinking about upgrading for that reason. Screen size is the only thing holding me back. Big thumbs.
    Last edited by Kid; 11-15-2013 at 09:55 AM.

You now what they say about guys with big thumbs.

Anyway, I've changed to using a tablet (samsung) and apart from the crummy spacebar, it's pretty good. Now approaching 25,000 and really finding the more I write, the more ideas I get.

Not only that... I've just had a platform change in my current job and have become unemployed (yikes) So for the next few weeks, I can pretend to be a full time writer :} let's see how that affects the output.

I'm thinking it will have a favorable effect.
    Last edited by John Oberon; 12-03-2013 at 05:24 AM.

Okay, so now I have about 31,000 words of a completed story, it's got a ridiculous number of plot holes and that's okay. I just wanted to get the whole thing down. It has a good start, end and middle but the middle and end are way short and I ave a lot of loose characters and subplots lying around that I'll build out over the silly season. Feeling pretty good about progress so far and looking for a complete first draft by end Jan.

Is it worth putting some chunks in the critique thread? I'm thinking not because I'm pretty happy with it all but hey, say your piece.

Great progress you're making!

If you like, post about 1K words of what you think is the best writing of your story...only the stuff you think is the best. No excuses. Don't post something and say, "I know it needs a lotta work", or "This is just a first draft", or "I'm really bad at punctuation and spelling", or anything like that. Post it and introduce it with "This is some of what I think is my best writing. I really like this." If you have the courage to do that, then sure, let's see some.

But if you're afraid of the critiques you might see, I'd wait awhile until I felt I wrote something of high quality that someone else might assess in the same way. Nothing cuts the jitters better than confidence.

John Oberon. Critiquing your honest labor since 19-whenever you were born. :P

I agree though. If you put out material already knowing what people are going to notice and have a problem with, then you're wasting your time and theirs.

Okay, do I've decided against looking for a critique for now and concentrate on telling the story. It's been a month since my last post and I'm now approaching 50K words. I'm now using Scrivener which really suits me because I can break the story up into bite sized chunks rather than trying to work with a monster manuscript. I'm the kind of guy that thinks up missing bits as I go and it's great to have a tool which makes it easy to manage that process. I'm also finding it good for keeping track of the story timeline. Anyway, happy writing all. Happy New Year.