HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Back

Going Back

I reckon in a forum like this, everyone has my problem.

So I sat down a while ago (read years) and wrote 17,000 words as a part of a novel, no plan, just a general idea for a theme and now...

My wife loves it, she wants the rest, problem is that I've gotten stuck because I didn't make a plan, I just started writing. I can see the story in my head till about half way and then there is just a fog, no resolution , no low point.

What am I going to go, so I've started making what if notes, you know, what if the bad guys marries the hero's friend and the like.

Should I try the make a plan and fit it around what Ive got? Should I fit what I've got around a plan..... Arrrgh, it's messing with my head....

If no plan worked before, why not try it again? Just start writing.

See, most wannabe writers like the idea of authorship, but don't like the work involved, so what they do is "prepare to write". They buy computers and the latest software so they can write. They buy books and CD's to learn how to write. They attend writing conferences, classes, and seminars. They create storyboards and outlines. They start networking and looking for mentors. They work out geneaologies and languages and geography. They build dens and buy clothes that look writer-y. They do everything...except write. It's just like many people who need to lose weight - do they really want to exercise and eat right? Noooo. They'll buy just about any expensive pill, program, or machine to make themselves feel like they're doing something about their weight.

You want to write? Then write. You didn't need a plan or anything special before, so do it again. All you need is determination and persistence. So get to it, writer. Write.

Quote Originally Posted by John Oberon View Post
    If no plan worked before, why not try it again? Just start writing.

See, most wannabe writers like the idea of authorship, but don't like the work involved, so what they do is "prepare to write". They buy computers and the latest software so they can write. They buy books and CD's to learn how to write. They attend writing conferences, classes, and seminars. They create storyboards and outlines. They start networking and looking for mentors. They work out geneaologies and languages and geography. They build dens and buy clothes that look writer-y. They do everything...except write. It's just like many people who need to lose weight - do they really want to exercise and eat right? Noooo. They'll buy just about any expensive pill, program, or machine to make themselves feel like they're doing something about their weight.

You want to write? Then write. You didn't need a plan or anything special before, so do it again. All you need is determination and persistence. So get to it, writer. Write.
    I gotta say, I agree with all of this. Writers block is generally made worse if you worry and stress over it. You apparently came up with a very nice first half, so there's no doubt you can let the thoughts flow as you did before. It's your story, so throw whatever twists and turns you want in there.

I agree with John and Wickett. Let the creative juices flow and and just go with the flow. They'll be time enough later to tweak and edit.

On a personal note, I didn't like the way a certain episode of one of my favorite TV shows ended so I challenged myself to do better. That was my only plan. Several years and three unpublished manuscripts later, I'm still attempting to tweak my skills and tell a good story. Point is not to give up and keep plugging away. A writer's determination and imagination are just as important as his or her skills.

Best advice I can give is WRITE!

Okay, so point taken. After procrastinating some more I'm writing again, about 3,000 words this week and settling in to keeping it regular.

Strangely, I'm writing mostly during the day on my smartphone and transferring the material to my computer for editing at night. I'm finding that I'm being really productive doing that. I'm not really writing in sequence though, I'm writing chapters or events that I know are going to happen but in no particular order which means at the end of the day, I have a bit of a jigsaw puzzle to assemble.

But hey, whatever works

Thanks for the boot up the bum.

I write on a computer, not a smartphone, but other than that, your method is almost exactly like mine. I write scenes that are clear in my mind, then write transitions or other scenes that hook them all together. So I think you're on the right track, lol. Just keep writing.

Never thought to do much writing on a smartphone. Clever idea. Would be a great way to write ideas or character lines down on the spot.

Thank's for the feedback. I have run into a small problem which I'll have to solve sooner or later. The plot has sucked in some police involvement. Something which I was trying to avoid. I don't know too much about police type work but I don't want to gloss it over. Should I be watching some crime shows or reading crime books for ideas?

Or...best way...talking to a cop or detective. Actually, I'd write what you want to happen in your story first, then show it to a cop and ask for his blessing.

Write first. Easy to get lost in the couch watching cop shows or reading cop books.

Write.
    Last edited by John Oberon; 11-12-2013 at 03:35 AM.

Used to write on my old smartphone daily. Not the same with my new touch screen. I miss the tactile feedback of a physical keyboard.

sad times

Glad to hear you're back at it. 3000 wpw! Slow down, Inspector Gadget. Some may take you for a writer.