HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Feedback Request: Stories Review

I have a couple of stories on the website attached to the following link:

http://aofthea.com/

Whether your opinions about it all are favorable or not, I would like to know what you honestly think about both, my writing and the overall ideas I have for it.

I'd also like to know what genre they would fall under too. (I got different classifications from other people.)

I'd say science fiction/fantasy. I read everything, and it's one gigantic information dump, not really a story.

Quote Originally Posted by John Oberon View Post
    I'd say science fiction/fantasy. I read everything, and it's one gigantic information dump, not really a story.
    I figured I could write a couple of short stories in a non-traditional form, as if you were reading the history and reports of a time that would be.

Did you enjoy it? Did it keep your interest at least?

The average joe will not stand that style of writing for very long. It's dry as dust, despite what it describes. You need characters talking about this stuff and acting on it to draw an audience. A long, impersonal, clinical history repels readers pretty quickly.

Rogue Mutt
    I'd agree with John that those are basically a Wikipedia entry, which is fine if you're just wanting to give the history behind your game or whatever it is.

Well, I do have one or two stories in mind that will be based off of of these (excluding the game), but I'm going to need a writer or two to help me out with the dialogue. I've written other things before, and I noticed I'm much better at developing plot than I am with forming dialogue.

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by herkyjerky87 View Post
    Well, I do have one or two stories in mind that will be based off of of these (excluding the game), but I'm going to need a writer or two to help me out with the dialogue. I've written other things before, and I noticed I'm much better at developing plot than I am with forming dialogue.
    Good luck with that. Unless you've got a buddy lined up or you're paying through the nose don't expect anything. And a word of advice: don't ask anyone to write it on spec; pay 'em cash on the barrel up front.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mutt View Post
    Good luck with that. Unless you've got a buddy lined up or you're paying through the nose don't expect anything. And a word of advice: don't ask anyone to write it on spec; pay 'em cash on the barrel up front.
    Weeeelll...I don't know that I'd do that, but yeah...it's a rare professional writer who will write without expecting pay.

What I'd do is find a writer of some good reputation and give him a single scene to write. If he produces something that overall pleases you with maybe a few tweaks, then pay him and give him more to write. If it doesn't please you, pay him for his work and find someone else. This way, you don't waste a lot of money on something you don't like. It's not uncommon for people to test me in that way, and no, nobody's left me to find someone else...yet, lol.

Rogue Mutt
    Someone I follow on Facebook (who used to be around here) posts some ads some people put out that basically say, "After we hit it big then I'll give you X% of it." To which the answer is, LOL. So you don't want to be that guy making grand promises about future riches (which are unlikely to appear).

Quote Originally Posted by John Oberon View Post
    Weeeelll...I don't know that I'd do that, but yeah...it's a rare professional writer who will write without expecting pay.

What I'd do is find a writer of some good reputation and give him a single scene to write. If he produces something that overall pleases you with maybe a few tweaks, then pay him and give him more to write. If it doesn't please you, pay him for his work and find someone else. This way, you don't waste a lot of money on something you don't like. It's not uncommon for people to test me in that way, and no, nobody's left me to find someone else...yet, lol.

Yeah, I know. It's funny the things people will try on the internet that they wouldn't dream of trying face-to-face. You have to pay for things. Sorry.