HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Most outlandish book you've ever read

This morning I was remembering a book I once read. I absolutely loved it, and was drawn in by the crazy madness that still somehow flowed together into a comprehensible and compelling story. I'm speaking of none other than Douglas Adams' bestseller, The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy. There are a lot of fond memories associated with that book for me. It's insanity is what made it memorable, so my question to everyone here is, what is the most outlandish book you've ever read? It doesn't have to be one you even enjoyed either. Go!

Boy Wonder by James Robert Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Says View Post
    Boy Wonder by James Robert Baker.
    I've heard of that, but know very little about it. What's it like?

@Wickett,

It's an outrageous Hollywood satire about this horrible producer (great producer, horrible human being.) The entire story is told through flashback via interviews with various people who knew him (kinda like a film documentary.) And all these people telling terrible tales about their experiences with this terrible man are as terrible as he is. It's biting, twisted, sick, outlandish and laugh out loud funny.

Iain Banks's "The Wasp Factory" is also really whacked. It's kind of repulsive but you can't put it down.

Sounds pretty neat actually. I like when a story is told in flashbacks sometimes. It depends on the story, but certain ones really benefit from it I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickett View Post
    Sounds pretty neat actually. I like when a story is told in flashbacks sometimes. It depends on the story, but certain ones really benefit from it I think.
    I agree with you there. Flashbacks make a wonderful addition to a story as you get to see what went on in the story from long ago.