HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Ha, yeah you're missing the intent by quite a bit. It's a man looking out his window and reflecting (hence the name).

I'm impressed that you can actually break something like that down to that extent though.

No indication whatsoever that this reflection occurs indoors. No window mentioned. But OK, the narrator is inside a house or building with a group of people. To tell you the truth, I don't think anyone's mood would be affected much by a storm, if you're in a building. But if it DID affect mood in some way, I think most would be glad that they were inside and not outside. I myself like a good storm if I am warm and comfy inside. Somehow, the miserable weather makes you feel even MORE warm and cozy. So, I think either the narrator's perceptions are faulty, or his company is pretty depressed or angry, as I said.

Hello, Wickett!

First I'd like to say that I think you meant 'its' instead of 'it's' and that there is no need for a comma after the word 'rain' in your last stanza. I made that statement first because I did not want to take away from the fact the I actually loved the poem. Although, there are lines that are shorter than others, I still feel a melodic rhythm to each stanza of poetry. I believe that one of the other reasons this poem is enjoyable to me is because I myself enjoy the rain. While others I know complain of such a natural effect, as you poignantly stated in stanza 1 ~ line 3, I enjoy the rain and the thunderstorms. To me, they are God's symphony to my ears. I truly enjoyed it!

Thanks Authorine! You're very kind. This was some stuff I did a few years when I was just dipping into poetry for some fun.

I am actually very against the idea that all lines in poetry must be equal length. Some poems work well with that, but I was always more into telling a story, and sometimes that required a little more room to work with. Still, it's very amateurish at best, but I really appreciate the good word.