HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Really, Mutt? I didn't know that. It all makes sense now, lol. I'll read whatever I can get my hands on, just for the sake of saying at least I read it. Twilight definitely made me regret that practice. Fifty, not so much, but that was more because it was somewhat of a pioneer in that particular literary subject matter, geared toward women, in any case.

Is Fifty really that risqué? I had a couple of female friends tell me they absolutely loved it. I wonder some about them now. >_>

Anyway, I find it very interesting that even with books there is some very poor quality content that slips through the cracks. I for one feel like the music industry has gone down hill severely. I can't believe Justin Bieber and Nicki Minaj passes for music anymore. I guess Twilight and Fifty are just examples that this can happen to the writing industry as well.

So what about Harry Potter? Did any of you read those?

I am a Potter fan. My wife and I would take turns reading the first book to our daughter at bedtime, the next thing I know I'm four chapters ahead of them and one of those standing in line at midnight waiting for the next book to go on sale.

Does that make J.K. a good writer? I don't know, but I think it makes her a good storyteller. A fact that's equally important in my book, pardon the pun.

Young or old, she gave us characters we could relate to in some way, shape, or form. Danger, adventure, mystery combined with the age old battle between good vs. evil made enjoyable reading.

The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew find themselves in the world of witches and wizards, who knew? LOL.

I agree with Musk. Everyone in my family, both young and old, read every single Harry Potter book, we waited in line at midnight to get the last one when it came out, we saw all the movies and bought all the DVDs. There's just something about those stories that caught our imaginations, even though we generally prefer different genres. I can't say I even noticed the quality of the writing (or lack thereof); it was the characters that made the books special. However she did it, JK created people we cared about. It might not have been great writing, but Musk is right: it was great storytelling.

Surprisingly, I never was interested by Harry Potter. I'm not saying that J.K. Rowling's writing is bad, because I really wouldn't know, but I think this goes to show you that good storytelling is more important than perfect writing.

I think both things are important. You need a good story, but if that story is riddled with errors, poor spelling, awkward sentences, lousy grammar, stilted dialogue, etc., readers won't stick with it. The belief that all you need is a great idea is a fallacy a lot of beginning writers cling to. It's the writing that makes the story come to life.

Jeanne

I think Twilight proves your statement wrong, Jeanne. A book was written with all those bad things in your list and found a huge audience.

Quote Originally Posted by John Oberon View Post
    I think Twilight proves your statement wrong, Jeanne. A book was written with all those bad things in your list and found a huge audience.
    I'm going to have to pick up one of those books one day just to see if they really are that bad.

You'll be amazed.

I think it is simply a matter of millions of people not really knowing good writing, and maybe not caring. I am a member of Writers and Artists website - mainly because of the competitions. The forums there beggar belief. Sooooo many people post excerpts from their writing and they are often atrocious. And yet people flock to reply and tell them how fantastic it is and how they can't wait to read on!!! It's not just the odd one. And I believed that W&A had a good reputation. Their book is my bible after all!!

I sit there and think.... is it me? Am I wrong? Am I the only one who smells how bad this writing stinks!? LOL

So maybe it is really a matter of people who write against people who read, and who don't really know the rules, nor care.

It has been proved time and again that good writing doesn't matter to many, many people. As long as the story captivates an audience. And whether that audience are right or wrong in *our* eyes, it doesn't matter. They like what they like.

BTW, I urge you all to visit W&A. It makes us all look like geniuses (or is that geniui???) here.