HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sending gifts

Sending gifts

Hey, guys. A few of your know I've had a couple of literary agents in my day, but I've never sent anything to any of them other than chocolates at Christmas. Due to varying personal or professional whatnots, they've each changed jobs or locations or both, which left me querying again. During the query process, I did have one agent read three different samples of novels from me. For this above-and-beyond effort, I sent a small (cute) notebook by way of saying thanks.

Now, I've had an offer of representation from someone I'm pretty over the moon about (groks me and my work). I'll be getting the contract with the edits, in ~2 weeks. I am wondering if it would be weird to send something for contract signing (eg. chocolates or wine)? Is that usually reserved for contract signing with a publisher? I want to seem classy and thankful--NOT creepy.

I have an agent who is negotiating a contract for me right now. When it's done, I plan to send him an email that says thank you. I consider that and a 15 percent take quite enough.

I suppose it depends on how much you personally interact with your agent. A small gift certainly won't hurt, but don't feel like you need to send anything.
    Last edited by Quill Pen; 09-24-2013 at 02:25 PM.

I signed and didn't send anything--she's awesome-cool and very casual, and I'll send her a gift if the book sells.

Thanks

I'd certainly send her a small but well-chosen gift if she succeeds in selling your book!

Oh, most definitely! I'll be sending a few Starbucks bucks in a few days for the holidays, too.