HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Really? What was it exactly that you enjoyed so much about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Wickett View Post
    Honestly I thought that was quite amazing. I don't know all the technicalities like everyone else does, but I greatly enjoyed it. In the end, that's really what it's about anyway.

Thank you Wickett.

I confess that I don't know all of the technicalities either but I do love my poem! I feel sorry for anyone so miserable with themselves that they cannot pass on a few words of encouragement.

All I did was take the time to create something I enjoyed and shared it with others to enjoy. I agree that is what it SHOULD be about, absolutely!

Alrighty…let’s enjoy this poem verse by verse. I'll just look at content and disregard poor grammar and wording.

I sat in my yard
    and looked in the eye
    a smug Mockingbird
    just dropped from the sky

The Mockingbird did not glide or land, but dropped from the sky and splatted onto the ground in front of the narrator. Whether from a wound or drunkenness or ineptitude, we do not know. At any rate, he shakes the stars from his head, and is embarrassed to find the narrator witnessed his crash. Instantly, he assumes an air of smugness, as if he meant to crash. The narrator looked the bird in the eye, which would typically mean the bird’s eyes were at the level of the narrator’s eyes. Thus, we know either the narrator is sitting in a hole in his yard, or this is one darn big mocking bird. I’ll assume it’s a normal size mocking bird.

It spread it's wings
    both wide and proud
    then asked my name
    I swear, out loud

The bird’s still trying to shake off the effects of the crash and appear as if he knows what he’s about, and asks the narrator’s name.

I began to reply
    to avoid seeming obtuse
    But could not to this bird
    myself introduce

The narrator starts to answer because he doesn’t want to appear stupid. Actually, I think most people would feel stupid seriously trying to converse with a bird. He is not rendered speechless before a talking bird - he’s probably seen parrots and other birds talk, but for some reason the narrator does not wish to divulge his name.

What good is there
    in a name, said I
    what good indeed
    the bird replied

Perhaps the narrator is testing the bird by asking him a question to see if this bird really is talking or just mimicking human speech. The bird takes the question as rhetorical and agrees with the premise.

If a bus called a plane
    could it suddenly fly
    Just what is your point
    it's expression wry

The bird quips a curious little analogy. I suppose a bus could call a plane if it had a phone, the plane’s phone number, and the ability to speak. Depending on the antecedent of “it”, the plane could suddenly fly if it had a pilot, or the bus could suddenly fly if the plane came to the bus when it called, and the bus boarded the plane and the plane departed. I don’t know to which the “it” refers. The bird asks the narrator what his point is with a cynical expression, but really I think that’s a question more suited for the narrator to ask the bird.

That it matters not
    what or if I'm called
    when all I can manage
    is to repeatedly fall

The bird "explains" his bus/plane analogy: It makes no difference that people call him a bird, and even might expect him to fly…he can’t fly. All he can do is plummet again and again.

Each day I risk
    as I take to the air
    a mistake that is fatal
    but I do not despair

Apparently, this bird climbs trees, or maybe rides elevators to the top floor of buildings and jumps out a window in an effort to fly, knowing full well he can’t. He repeats this mistake over and over. He kills himself with each attempt, but never gives up. Now that’s what I call optimism! I guess the narrator witnessed the end of one of these attempts in the first verse. No resurrection is mentioned, so I assume this is a zombie mocking bird?

For given wings
    I am surely meant to fly
    With your obvious gifts
    why do you ask why

The zombie bird reasons that since he has wings, he must be able to fly, even though he has killed himself many times trying. No clue as to what gifts the bird refers. I do not see anywhere where anyone asked “why” about anything, so no clue there either.

I looked at the bird
    with enmity and scorn
    and once again wished
    I had never been born

Apparently, the narrator has a low tolerance for nonsense, and this is not the first time he’s had this kind of reaction to it.

There is but one reason
    and make no mistake
    you sit here this moment
    seemingly without a break

The zombie bird says there’s only one reason the narrator sits like a lazy bum in this hole in his yard.

You look not within
    for the answer you seek
    it opened as if laughing
    it's most noble beak

Apparently, the narrator is looking for an answer to a question. No clue what the question is, but the zombie bird assures the narrator that he’s sitting in the hole because he’s not looking within something for the answer to his question. No clue what the something is…could be himself, or a book, or maybe even the hole. Who knows? The zombie bird then opens his noble beak as if to laugh, but doesn’t laugh. Zombie birds that can’t fly don’t have much to laugh about, I guess.

I only wish that
    my mind was brilliant
    My friend be content
    that it is...resilient

The zombie bird wishes he were smart, an understandable wish given the flood of stupidity flowing from his noble beak. The narrator consoles the zombie bird by pointing out a strength…while his mind is not brilliant, after multiple suicides, it is indeed resilient.

Though this poem makes no real sense, it is kind of funny, I guess.
    Last edited by John Oberon; 07-25-2013 at 04:25 AM.