HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Even though the book is now published on Amazon and B&N (see the announcement in the Published Writers forum), I'm still experimenting with cover designs. This one uses a stock illustration from Shutterstock which (to me) conveys the sense of a city constructed from software, not unlike my sims and the society in which they serve. You'll have to imagine that the watermark isn't there; I didn't want to cough up the bucks for the actual image until I determined which way I wanted to go with this.

Last edited by Gilfindel; 05-25-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Speaking as a graphic artist, both the header and the footer look like they're falling off the cover in both designs. Move all the lettering away from the edges. Move the title down and condense it a bit. Make the tag "A Jennia Bennett Simulated Crimes Novel" smaller, or maybe try it in two lines to get it away from the edges. Bold your name and move both it and the tag up away from the bottom - the space on the bottom should be greater than the space between the tag and your name.

I wonder about the color. Maybe you want something a little more eye-catching for your first book. If you could play with the colors a bit, red on gray practically vibrates - I'm thinking that for the title. You know, kinda black and white world of computers and software meets bloody murder. So yeah, I'm thinking graytone graphic, red title, black or blue tag and name.

That's my two cents.

Rogue Mutt
    "Falling off the cover" only matters if you're making a paperback/hardcover cover. If it's just being self-published as an ebook that doesn't matter. And making the text smaller is going to make it harder to read in icon size, which is how most people are going to see it.

lol, it looks like we'll have just as many opinions on the cover as we did on the content. I actually prefer the bright blue, but here's a quick take on John's suggestion for comparison, albeit with a red/white tag instead of blue/black. I went ahead and purchased the stock image, so the watermark's gone now.

Rogue Mutt
    I think that's an improvement.

MUCH better as far as spacing. Try a white outline on the title, lower it a little more, and can you make the little man red also? Lighten the graphic by about 15% or so. Lighten the graphic first, then color the man the same red as the title.

I beg to disagree, Mutt. Everything matters.
    Last edited by John Oberon; 05-26-2013 at 06:21 PM.

The man is part of the stock image, so coloring him separately will take a bit more effort with the tools I have, especially considering his reflection on the floor. Here's the rest of it, though:

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, baby...that's starting to pop. That's not his reflection, but his shadow. That bright light behind him makes him cast a shadow, so you don't have to color that. Dang, I thought everyone had Photoshop, lol...you could color that little guy in no time. The graphic looks a lot better lightened. You can see some of the honeycomb above the title. Hey, try making the title outline the same gray as the light gray of the honeycomb below the title. I was aiming for red guy on a white background, red letters with a white outline to match, but give it a whirl anyways. Might make it pop even more.

If I had that graphic, I could color the little guy no problem. Man, and maybe put a graduated color in the title...ooo, baby.

lol, since I do graphics so rarely these days, Photoshop isn't high on the budget list. I'll give it a whirl with GIMP and see how it looks later today. I still contend it's a reflection, since it doesn't darken the honeycomb, but we'll go with shadow since that simplifies the task ;-)

Here you go. I managed to isolate the little fellow and recolor him. I also converted the background to a proper grayscale image (the other one had a slight blue tinge) and changed the font of my name from a bold Futura Bk to a straight Futura Hvy, which isn't as stretched out. I'm not sure the gray outline works as well, though.

Incidentally, that is a reflection on the floor. In the full size version, you can also see the blocks and program text reflected as well.