HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Experiences/Recommendations with KDP

I started prepping Simulated Murder for publishing on Amazon's KDP, and ran across a couple of items during the setup that I thought I'd solicit some opinions on:

1) Should I enable DRM? I'm not expecting to make much in the way of money on self-publishing (frankly, just having my first novel "published" is just about enough for me), so I'm not all that concerned about unauthorized sharing, and there's always the (slight) possibility that this might enlarge my exposure. Any subsequent novels would likely have DRM enabled, but what about this first one?

2) Is KDP Select worth it? I gather there's higher royalties, in exchange for some period of exclusivity, but I'd like to make the story available for B&N's Nook as well.

3) Should I bother with a table of contents (chapter links)? This seems a bit pointless for a novel, and I find it annoying personally, since I never use them; the app tracks my current bookmarks anyway.

Your insights are appreciated. I've completed the formatting, but I'm going through a "final" editing sweep, and I've already discovered at least two egregious errors (one missing word, one duplicated phrase). I'm also working on the cover art, since KDP's built-in templates don't do it for me. With any luck, I'll have every ready to go next week. Stay tuned...

Rogue Mutt
    I use DRM but some people make a big deal about it and refuse to buy a book that has it enabled. DRM also won't prevent someone from taking advantage of Amazon's lenient refund policy to copy a book to their hard drive and then refunding the book. If you just want people to read it then don't bother with the DRM. (Also, once you publish the book you can't change the DRM setting so make sure you're positive about it first.)

I wouldn't bother with KDP Select. You can't use it if you want to put it on other platforms and once you do, you're stuck with it for 3 months. Other than being able to make books free for 5 days I haven't seen a huge benefit from it.

I don't bother with a Table of Contents either but like DRM this is something other people make a big deal about. You can do like some publishers I've seen and put it at the end of the book so it doesn't really interfere with the reading.

For more tips and tricks on self-publishing, you can read my 3 blog entries here.

Thanks, Rogue!

Incidentally, here's a quick look at a preliminary cover. Of course, I'm still fiddling with ideas, so it may end up looking completely different by the time I'm done....

You need to test this cover as a thumbnail. The background behind the girl is so dark that the silhouette may disappear in a smaller image.

Jeanne

True, I hadn't considered that aspect of the design. Here it is at about a quarter of that size; the silhouette still seems recognizable, although of course the resolution is horrible at this scale. I'll brighten it up a bit more, though, and the next update.

Last edited by Gilfindel; 05-24-2013 at 05:01 PM.