HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question Interpreting anothers writing.

I am mystified on interpretive editing. Why does anyone interpret anothers writing if one edits ones post? I do not believe in reading between the lines. What I write is what I mean! I wish to be understood by editing all my words and meanings as well. How can I interpret anothers thoughts before the words are written or after they are written? pljames

You may write what you mean, but I certainly don't understand it. I think most would have great difficulty trying to interpret what you write. You tried to ask a question similar to this not long ago. I'll give you an answer similar to one I gave before:

Reading IS interpreting. It is impossible to read without interpreting. It is also impossible to interpret someone's thoughts before they are written or spoken. You interpret someone's thoughts after they are written by reading them and judging the meaning based on your education, experience, and beliefs.

My guess is that the question you really want to ask is "Why do people misinterpret my writing?" The answer to that question is simple: you're not a very good writer. You can remedy that problem by getting yourself a tutor or good grammar book and honing your skill with practice.
    Last edited by John Oberon; 05-20-2013 at 10:17 AM.

I agree with John here (who has expressed his thoughts well).

As a writer, you are responsible for expressing your ideas clearly. As readers, we can understand only the words that appear on the page. If you leave words out, use the wrong word, punctuate incorrectly or use no punctuation, or misspell your words, your readers will strain to find meaning. The meaning they find may not be the meaning you intended.

Jeanne

How can I interpret anothers thoughts before the words are written?

Go to the best psychic you know.

Or after they are written?

It's called reading and applying your own thoughts and experiences.

You don't interpret when you edit--you edit. You interpret when you read, by experiencing the story.

Clarity of purpose and proper word choice equates to correct interpretations. Sometimes even that doesn't do as reader's bring more to the reading than writer's do, even though writer's do more work.

Writing poetry has taught me that words are only one part of any piece of writing. Word arrangement, spacing, grammatical choices, and many more parts all contribute to a reader's interpretation.

Civieo, watch out for old posts threads. The one has been moribund for five months...