HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Query, seeking nonfiction writers

I am the volume editor of Abuse: An Encyclopedia of Causes, Consequences, and Treatments, with ABC-CLIO/Greenwood. I am currently working to find contributing authors for this one-volume A to Z. When completed, this encyclopedia will be approximately 140,000 to 160,000 words in length and consist of approximately 180 to 220 entries. Entries will be approximately 500, 725, or 1,000 words in length. This encyclopedia has a projected publication date of 2014.

Right off the bat, I think you need a more specific title. There's only about a bajillion kinds of abuse - drug abuse, alcohol abuse, physical abuse, verbal abuse, mental abuse, abuse of women, children, the elderly, animals...if you intend to address abuse generally, I think you're way underestimating the amount of words needed.

Yes, you are correct. That's why there are 220 entries to cover the broad topic of abuse. Word estimates are flexible somewhat, but these figures are a publisher decision rather than the author/volume editor's. We'll see what the art of the possible is.

Well, seeing that there are entire books written on any ONE type of abuse, I think your entries will be pretty darn skimpy. Is this book at least limited to human abuse or will it cover different kinds of animal and environmental abuse as well?

Rogue Mutt
    It seems like for a project like this you'd have better luck contacting psychiatric professionals or professors. I doubt there's anyone here who would be qualified to write an objective scientific entry about abuse in any form.

Oh, sure...just like writing a research paper. You just quote the professionals. Most encyclopedias are not written by professionals in the particular field, but professional writers.

Rogue Mutt
    It'd be easier to just go to Wikipedia and copy their entries.

This encyclopedia addresses animal abuse, but not environmental abuse. Yes, entire books are often written on topics, but encyclopedias are a brief overview on topics. It will also cover, organizations, leaders, and laws relevant to types of abuse.

A topic well researched is what is needed in this encyclopedia. Professionals are sometimes too technical for this audience.

Wikipedia is an encyclopedia.