HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Seriously long time, even for top-tier?

I know no one here's a mind-reader, and that's the only person who could "accurately" answer this, but I am curious as to opinions.

Just a bit over a half-year ago, I was lucky enough to be a presenter at a small local writer's expo. I was able to pitch in person to a top-tier agent. She was excited, literally nearly jumping out of her seat a couple of times as I described my project. She asked me to hold off a few weeks before sending, so she could catch up from the trip first.

A month passes: I send the ms. She is still very busy and asks me to send to her assistant, which I do. Within a reasonable amount of time, the kind assistant writes an overly positive note (the "L" word was in it) and sends it along, saying "We are very excited and should be back to you within the week."

Fast forward another 6 weeks. I get a lovely note from the agent herself, again stating how busy she is (I know it!) and using the "L" word twice and the word "excited" a few times more, and asking for my patience.

Another 6 weeks have gone by, now, and I am wondering if this is normal for top-tier agents? I know the agenting world is cram-packed, believe me I do, but in total it's been over 6 months since pitch.

Keep waiting?

Blue,

Are you submitting simultaneous queries? If not, do so.

Yes, I think six months is a long time since your pitch. That may or may not mean the agent is disinterested. But, since it's a top-flight person I don't think she would string you along if she wasn't interested, at least at some level.

That said, keep in mind you're running a business. Your first priority at this stage is to grow your business. Repeating myself, continue to query if you're not already doing so.

I'm not asking who the agent is, but are you absolutely certain she's top-tier? Does she require an exclusive? Those are entirely different questions. There are still some highly respected agents who require an exclusive.

Not sure this is of much help.

Cur

Yes, top tier; no, not exclusive (I never grant exclusivity). More queries....? *Sigh* I've queried just about everyone, but I can comb for more I'm sure. I hate querying.

Well, it took 9-10 months but they've asked me to sign.

Congrats! Patience is a virtue, I suppose.

Thanks! I guess it pays off in a slow business like ours.

Cheese, Gromit. We'll go somewhere where there's cheese.

Re: seriously long time

Postscript: I signed with them, stayed a short while, and although I was treated professionally, I wasn't taken seriously. I left them and recently signed with a different agency, with which I am infinitely happier.

Re-congrats! Hopefully this one works out for you.

Congratulations, Blue. Thanks for the update and Good Luck!!!

Keep on pounding away!