HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Beth View Post
    If you'd read the letter, you would know that the sirens aren't actually fighting one another
    If you'd read my response, you would know that's why I said it was CLICHE. Oh me, oh my I've missed one: Arden has to keep her abilities a secret. Cause Supers walk around in costume all the time. Hey you! You like my Spandex?

Arden Reines would love nothing more than to spend her days singing with the ocean or seducing men with her song.
    So epic Homer was right – D'oh!!!

Arden could flee, which means leaving her home and the ocean behind.
    But what good will that do if The Sons of anarchy won't stop until EVERYONE in her clan is dead? Her only other choice – besides running – is dying tired?

Quote Originally Posted by Author Pendragin View Post
    If you'd read my response, you would know that's why I said it was CLICHE. Oh me, oh my I've missed one: Arden has to keep her abilities a secret. Cause Supers walk around in costume all the time. Hey you! You like my Spandex?

So epic Homer was right – D'oh!!!

But what good will that do if The Sons of anarchy won't stop until EVERYONE in her clan is dead? Her only other choice – besides running – is dying tired?
    … I'll be honest, none of this makes any sense at all. Is there even a story that hasn't been done in some way or another before? Just because there are a couple of cliches (which I'm not even sure I'd call them that) doesn't make the story in itself trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickett View Post
    I'll be honest, none of this makes any sense at all. Is there even a story that hasn't been done in some way or another before? Just because there are a couple of cliches (which I'm not even sure I'd call them that) doesn't make the story in itself trash.
    Aww, Wickett in shining armor. Similar themes, a cliche don't make. It's when you Frankenstein them together, with a paint by numbers thread, that the issue is troublesome. High school girl, with quaky insides for hot guy -- because all girls are really made of jello -- on the run from unstoppable force after someone is killed, -- Is Jacob going to be making an appearance at Twilight?

Quote Originally Posted by rogue mutt View Post
    you forgot to add "neener neener neener!"
    lmao!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Author Pendragin View Post
    Aww, Wickett in shining armor. Similar themes, a cliche don't make. It's when you Frankenstein them together, with a paint by numbers thread, that the issue is troublesome. High school girl, with quaky insides for hot guy -- because all girls are really made of jello -- on the run from unstoppable force after someone is killed, -- Is Jacob going to be making an appearance at Twilight?
    At least my shining armor can defend me from your flaming arrows.

I've read lots of stories that were nothing but a cliche, but were still very enjoyable when executed correctly. I think it's a little narrow-minded (no offense intended) to automatically assume a story is crap unless it's pretty much all never before seen material. I'm not even sure that could be done anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickett View Post

I've read lots of stories that were nothing but a cliche, but were still very enjoyable
    "When executed correctly" being the key criterion. Not fresh off the doting heroine, meets hot, radioactive, school guy who turns her insides to jello -- what high school guy doesn't do that? -- followed by a dead body -- cause someone's always got to be dead -- paint by numbers assembly line. They're only excited correctly when you have an original reason for using them, not a refactorized version of the same thing, with the names changed to protect the innocent.

I think it's a little narrow-minded (no offense intended) -- none taken -- to automatically assume a story is crap unless it's pretty much all never before seen material.
    So, while I'm not outright saying cliched stories are novel, some cliche's do find their happily ever after, through poisoned apple and pumpkin carriage, on the path unwiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinding -- in the circle of life.