HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Need noob help with something

Hey everyone,

I'm putting together a story and it's still somewhat in it's early stages, and I need to know if this should be capitalized. Here's the sentence I have.

"All squad members were white, the first through fifth of the ranking officers were gray, the fifth through third seat officers were purple, the lieutenantís were red, and the captainís was black."

Am I correct that the titles should not be capitalized, or do the different seats, lieutenants, etc. need to be capitalized?

Thanks for any help.

Capitalize a military title when used with a name, otherwise, no.

I met General Nathan White today.
    I met the general today.

I kind of don't understand the sentence. It is messy. Should "lieutenant's" have an apostrophe? Same for "captain's"? You don't apostrophise for the first three items, so why for the last two? It's just a really messy kind of sentence and seems a tad long. Can you not find a way to re-write this?

What is white, purple, gray etc? It is not clear to me? Am I just being thick?

Very much appreciate the help John.

You're right Debbi, I missed that, thanks. I'm currently going back over all that I've written from start to finish to try and smooth out some rough spots, so I probably will reword that a little.

They are colors of the sashes that they wear to distinguish rank.

[QUOTE=Wickett;1354498]Hey everyone,

I think this is right -

"All squad members' sashes were white, the first through fifth of the ranking officers' were gray, the fifth through third seat officers' sashes were purple, the lieutenants' were red, and the captain’s was black."

Debbie,

Wear or were? Also, is this dialog?
    Last edited by Author Pendragin; 05-12-2013 at 09:15 PM.

You used were, so I did, too. But you could use wear if you wanted, and then at the end it would be "the captain wore black" If someone is saying the sentence then it would be dialog, but if not, then it would be without quotes in your story. I just put quotes around it to show what you wrote in your post. Keep writing! Your friend, the old English teacher )