HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    [Short thread derail] I do find it interesting how the definition of "successful" has changed in the industry, just in the time I've been doing this. When I started writing a decade ago, the measure of a successful mass market release print run was 50,000. Lower than that, and it was unlikely to hit any major lists. A 30K release was a death knell for MMP, because there wouldn't be enough books in the marketplace for readers to find. If there were only one or two books in each store (before Amazon was the primary place for people to pre-order), most of the books allocated to stores would be sucked away with pre-orders at the store, leaving none on the shelves for the week of release.

But all of that has changed. Now, a solid release print run is 20K, and 10K is perfectly acceptable to editors making decisions on whether a debut book was a "success."

Why?

Well, IMO, a lot is because many of the bookstores are gone, and e-readers have taken the world by storm. E-book sales are factored into the NYT and USAT list rankings, which couldn't be imagined a decade ago. Having the few remaining chains and indie stores pre-order (store pre-orders are different than reader pre-orders, and drive the first press run) 10K books is really quite significant.

So 10K is the new 25K for success, John.

[\end derail]

I won't go into the formatting, as others have already done that. but I agree that the sample of the OP's release could use some cleaning up. While I'm actually a fan of vivid descriptions, some of the small details actually distract. This, for example:

Shoes all over the hallway, which considering the apartments smallness was practically only a corner. A sadly looking stool randomly covered in outdoor clothing, one garbage bag which was meant to be taken out at any time, a sink with some dishes, pizza boxes in creative places and of course, the characteristic layer of dust...on everything.
    pulls me out of following the hero. I found myself skipping text to get back to back to him.

I'm also a little unsure about an omniscient narration of an urban fantasy. While I'm happy with first or third person POV, I think you're going to lose a lot of the immediacy of reaction that readers crave in UF.

Still, good luck with it. Hope it does well!

It's still 25K for me, lol. However, I will alter it to a total of both e-book and print copies. So maybe I'll sell 15K e-books and 10K print copies or whatever, and then I can say with my integrity intact that I'm published.

Then I can track down those two bullies...

:ROFL: Feel free!