HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussionWritersNet Email
Forum Login | Join the discussion
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile A nice rejection!

Just thought I would share this with you. Received this morning via email from an agent:

Dear Debbi

Thank you for sending us ****** and for giving us the opportunity to consider your work. Apologies for the delay in responding.

While we enjoyed reading your work, which stood out from the many we receive, we couldn't find an agent here who felt strongly enough to take it further and therefore we are afraid we are not able to offer you representation for this project.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to consider your material and we wish you every success with your writing.

Love that bit about it standing out.

So it's just onward we go!!! Things are definitely getting better though, along with my writing, so I know it is only a matter of time. Just how much time is yet to be established!!!

Debbi

Hate to burst your bubble, but that's still a form letter. Note how they don't actually say anything about your story that would indicate this is any kind of personal correspondence. They just merge in your name and the title and out it goes. The "stood out" part is just to cushion the blow.

Ok. Lol

So you've received letters that say your work stands out too? Cool.

Debbi

Probably. I don't remember the wording of them all. No means no, that's the only thing to take away from it.

Wow! What a terribly negative outlook on life.

No is not the only thing to take away from it - far from it. I will choose how to feel about my email, if you don't mind. Not all rejections are negative, and if you think that way you will never progress and improve. You have not read my other rejections so you can not possibly know whether this one is different. No one has to make comment on whether your work stood out unless it did. What possible reason could they have to do so? They don't care if they hurt my feelings or not.

And just for the record, please don't apologise for "bursting my bubble" because you most certainly have not, nor ever could.

I hope that someone else who reads my post (which was originally intended as a nice, cheery sharing post) will take more from it. But if no one does, it doesn't matter because it made me happy anyway and that is all that matters really.

Have a good day (if you will allow yourself).

Debbi

Please stop before you give us all diabetes with all this sugary crap. Rejections are rejections. Unless they hand write you something that talks about actual plot points and characters, then just assume it's a form letter and get on with your life. Send the next batch of queries to generate more form rejections.

And if you want to know why they would include that: it's not because they care about you; it's because they don't want you calling them or mailing them a pipe bomb or something. This way you come onto a writing forum saying, Gee what a nice rejection! Instead of, Gee what a bunch of [expletives].

It's all a part of the game and once you've played it for a bit longer you'll understand it.

Incidentally, there's a prince in Nigeria who has millions of dollars he needs to move. Could you help me pay some of the transfer fee? Then we can split the profit and be rich, rich, rich!

LOL

What on earth is *wrong* with you, Mutt?? LOL

If you want to be a sap and think form rejections are positive, that's your issue. Some of us have learned better. BTW, if you want to give me the name of that agency I'll go send them a query and see if mine "stands out" too. LOL.

Easy guys. We're all just writers here.