HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    Woo-hoo, got my first official rejection letter today. It's all uphill from here, baby!

Right?

Darn, rejection number 2. Good thing it's a federal offence for literary agents to send three in a row.

Right?

lol. Hey, at least you're getting responses.

Your hide is adamentine, your jaw is flint. These rejections are like BB's ricocheting off a battleship. You're collecting piles of rejections so when you're successful, you can show future writers what you went through to succeed. That's how I always tell writers to view rejections.

lol, I just set my expectations extraordinarily low, so that anything positive (even just a partial) is cause for celebration. Heck, I was thrilled even getting an acknowledgement that the agent received my email. The pessimist is rarely disappointed...

Well, I think you have good reason for optimism, which might get you a free stick of chewing gum from Frank at the corner hardware store, but not much else.

No new nibbles, so I've just fired off another batch of queries. Quick question on formatting, though: many of the submission guidelines request samples with double-spaced lines. I understand the rationale for that when submitting printed copies, but is that also desirable for samples included within the body of the email itself? To me, it just makes it harder to read, and the agent can simply reformat the spacing with a couple of clicks if needed.

Any thoughts or experiences along these lines? I'd hate for my query to be rejected simply due to an incorrect formatting option.

If you're cutting and pasting sample pages into the body of the email, the standard format is block paragraphs--single-spaced paragraphs, no indents, and double-spaced between paragraphs. MS Word can really mess up email formatting, so it's best to strip out the formatting and cut and paste using plain text. The double-spacing request may refer to the spaces between paragraphs or requested attachments of partials or fulls. It's hard to know without seeing the specific guidelines. Most agents don't get too rattled by formatting problems in the email--unless it makes the text unreadable. Remember, a lot of them are probably reading their emails on their phones or kindles.

How many queries have you sent? If you have no requests after a trial of 10 or so, you may need to re-visit the query. Have you posted it for feedback on AgentQuery or QueryTracker? There are some folks over there who have brilliant query-writing skills.

Jeanne

Thanks, Jeanne. I sent out a dozen or so queries a month ago, and I rewrote the query about halfway through to punch it up a bit; I've used the newer one for this latest batch. I'll cruise over to those other sites and have a look. I appreciate the tip.