HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Need a ghost writer or an agent

Hi

I have registered here, to try to find a ghost writer or an agent to get my story / book published. I dont have any clue about how to start.

My story is useful for a lot of people in a lot of different situations. At the same time, it is a story about an extremely eventful life. It is a story about cultural differences between Japan and Europe, it is a story telling how it is behind the scene in Japan. It is the untold story about Japanese working environment, it is a story about a luxury life in Japan as diplomat. It is also a story about a little boy born in Denmark and grew up in Japan thus becoming well known to both the Japanese and Western culture. It is a story about a business man who lost everything more than once, it is a story about the son of a missionary, who grew up in Christian fundamentalism but managed to get out of it and find own values to base life upon.

Who wants the story...?

How can I find a ghost writer or an agent that would find it interesting to publish either the whole story or part of the story?

I hope someone can help me find an agent or a ghost writer.

Best regards

Kim

Kim,

First, forget about an agent. They attempt to get books published, they don't write them.

You are the best person to tell your story. Explain how your experiences made you feel, what you thought, how you try to overcome obstacles life put in your path.

By doing this, it will make your story sound less like a record of your experiences, and your readers will find it more interesting.

When you have done this, step back and read your work. Look at it not as the writer, but as a reader. If you found this book in a store, would you buy it?

Rarely does the final product match the original draft. With this thought in mind, fine tune your work. When you are finished and satisfied with the results, then seek an agent.

Most will make further suggestions if they think it will improve the chances of marketing your story, or tell you it sucks.

All this takes time, effort, and determination, not to mention a pretty thick skin.

BEST OF LUCK!

Musketeer 3

Kim,

A ghost writer doesn't publish your story, he writes it for you. Have you already written your story, and you just need editing or what?

Hi John Oberon

THank you very much for your comments.

The story is already written in Japanese and Danish. But I have to make considerable changes to it. So I am wondering whether it would be best to write it again (in English) making those changes that I find necessary to make the story interesting. I have published two small parts of it on my web under "the beginning of the story" and "back in Japan again". I am sure that it will be an inteersting story for a lot of readers, but as you also will see, I am not exactly a professional writer. So I need assistance from a ghost writer to write it, and I also need assistance from an agent or a publisher to market it...

Quote Originally Posted by John Oberon View Post
    Kim,

A ghost writer doesn't publish your story, he writes it for you. Have you already written your story, and you just need editing or what?

Alrighty...yes, you should write it in English as best you can, then give it to an editor. How well you write determines what kind of editor you need. Maybe you write well enough that you need only grammar and punctuation checked. Or maybe you need a development editor to help you pull the whole thing together, to structure and mold content. But first...yes, write it in English.

Dear John Oberon

Once again thank you very much for your email and advice. It is really helpful. I wish I can do something in return.

I noticed that I got an email from you earlier, with some comments, but I cant find it in this forum. But I just want to comment some of your comments.

Yes, I understand that a story about what a person did or didnt, especially if the person did not overcome some problems or succeeded with something, it might be a story that nobody wants to read. However, while my story is based on my life, my experiences, it really tells a story about a Japan, a Japan that most people neither have seen or heard about. It is a story about how it is behind the curtain in Japan. Japan is one of the most difficult culture to understand, but I will try to reveal some of the hidden stuff that could be very interesting for non-Japanese and hopefully also make it easier for non-Japanese to understand why Japanese people react as they do, why they chose as they do etc. My very unique background should give me enough advantages to be able to create a very interesting story...

Anyway, I will try to write as much in English first and take it from there. Your advice have been very helpful to me. THank you :-)

You'll have to join the queue, I'm afraid, for a publisher or agent to market it for you! Most of us have been trying for years!!!

Keep at it, and if all else fails, pay a great editor the going rate to hack it about for you, and then self-publish. Traditional publishing is as difficult to get into as Fort Knox.

But it happens, and people get lucky so maybe that will be you.

Good luck