HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Temujin's Bow

Temujin's Bow

Temujin's Bow is a soon to be released ebook. It is the story of a beautiful English paleontologist's discovery of an ancient Mongol boy's bow. Can it be a clue to the lost tomb of Genghis Khan and his fabulous treasure? Nations race to find its hidden location that is protected by a powerful shaman. The editor's comments "awesome story...can I have more?....can't wait for the next one!" In the interest of full disclosure, yes I am the author.

Yeah, I kind of thought you were.

Congrats!

"Paleontologist?" You mean she found it while searching for fossils? Interesting. I must admit, however, that the plot reminded me of the 1940 Republic Serial The Drums Of Fu Manchu. Are you familiar with it, or is this just a coincidence?

It is just an idea I had. Knowing that Mongolia has been a treasure trove of dinosaur
    fossils for decades and that the lost tomb of Genghis Khan has been sought for centuries, what better reason is there for a western woman to be digging in that barren landscape? I do not know the book you mentioned.

Sax Rohmer wrote a long series of books about a Chinese villain named Fu Manchu. One of them, The Drums Of Fu Manchu, was used in 1940 as the basis of a a serial by Republic Pictures, although only the name and the main characters were used and the story was made up strictly for the film. In it, the insidious Dr. Fu Manchu was trying to get to the tomb of Ghengis Khan so that he could proclaim himself the Khan's heir and raise all East Asia against the Europeans.

This isn't a problem, of course, because except for the basic idea, I'm sure your version has nothing to do with the one I mentioned. I just thought you might be interested to know about the serial. If so, it's available on VHS and (probably) DVD if you look around. It's worth watching, as it's an excellent serial. In fact, the actor playing the title role once said that he based his portrayal on what he thought would be a fourteen-year-old's image of a sinister Oriental villain, and he got it spot on.

Not even remotely related. There have been many attempts by individuals and countries
    to find the tomb throughout history. One can only guess at their motives. The plot of my
    book bears no resemblance to what you are describing.That serial was before even
    I was born. Now that you brought it to my attention, I just may look it up.

Thanks!

It was before I was born too, I assure you. And, I didn't think it was related, I was just curious to find out if it was one of your inspirations.

Yes, it was. From what you've said about the books and the resulting serial, I'm
    convinced you would find Temujin's Bow much to your taste as it is in the
    Indiana Jones genre. Thanks again for the information.
    Last edited by James Albert; 05-26-2011 at 07:53 AM.

The books were more in the spy thriller genre and were probably one of Flemming's inspirations for James Bond. The "Indiana Jones genre," as you call it, is simply a modern recreation of the serials that were so popular in the '30s and '40s. And, as I wrote before, the plot of the serial had absolutely no connection with the plot of the novel. However, I'll keep this in mind.

A little more information, here. I spoke to a knowledgeable friend (The same one who's in the picture of the Bat Cave, BTW.) last night and he told me that the head writer for the serial had an interesting idea. He realized that all of the novels were written by Fu Manchu's enemies, and of course, they made him out to be a black-hearted villain. He wrote the story from a more neutral perspective, portraying the insidious Dr. in a far more sympathetic light. Maybe that's why many people consider it one of Republic's best serials.