HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why

Question Why

Why do writers write and why do readers interpret the writers writing? How many paragraphs is to many? If I want to make a point can I put a / after the point word then describe the point instead of using parenthesis? What does a comma do? Paul

Writers write to express themselves. Readers bring their own experiences to what they read, and that contributes to how they interpret what they read. You need just enough paragraphs to communicate what you want to communicate. I have no idea what your question about points mean. A comma functions as a separator in the sentence. It sets off text and clarifies meaning.

Jeanne

Jeanne,
    Excellent answer. How do readers bring their own experiences to what they read? I want to share my experiences with the reader, but I am totally confused as why the reader interprets my piece? I say what I mean and vice versa. what does set off text mean? Paul

I'm totally confused by your question. Reading IS interpretation. Readers interpret symbols as letters, then groups of letters as words, then groups of words as sentences, then interpret meaning from the sentences they read. And life experiences, education, relationships etc. may influence the interpretation. I assume you know this since you read Jeanne's post.

If you want to know about punctuation and other mechanics of writing, buy or borrow Elements of Style by Strunk and White. It will tell you whatever you need to know far better than anyone on here could.

John,
    I deduct people interpret each word sentence and paragraph for a proper meaning. English teachers and Linguists do. I edit each piece for grammar syntax etc. But have been told people still interpret it, to understand it better. I use Grammarly for that. Paul

Not a clue what you mean.

I get the impression that pljames is wondering why regular readers are trying to find some deeper meaning in what he writes, when he takes great pains to write exactly what he means.

The problem is, pl, that your readers will never take what you write or say at face value; they will apply their own biases and preconceptions and questions to anything that is presented to them. That's human nature. If you say "Hello", the immediate response is "Why is he saying hello? Is he being friendly? Does he want something from me? Is he trying to distract me from something else?" You can't avoid it; you have to accept it, and try your best to get your meaning across as clearly as you can.

As I say, reading IS interpretation. No way around it.

I'll say this much James...judging from your posts, your writing leaves a LOT open for interpretation.