HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Any literary agents here?

A few years back I began writing my first MS, RESURRECTION, as a challenge to myself to create a better ending to an episode of one of my favorite TV shows[ now in syndication] However, the characters I created to accomplish this daunting task now seem to have taken on a life of their own.

Since I am no legal expert, I am uncertain where copyrights end and 'fair use' begins.

Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Rogue Mutt
    As you may know by now "50 Shades of Gray" started out as Twilight fanfiction. Then she just changed the names and probably dropped the vampire junk and boom megaseller. So just change the names and anything that might be traced back to whatever series and there you go.

Thanks Rogue,

Naturally I thought of that, but I would prefer that to be a last resort. In my mind, I would lose the 'challenge' I made myself. Not willing to do that just yet.

Part One of my book retells the story from the point of view of my MC. He didn't appear in the episode, but in my story he does interact with the characters therein.

Part Two, he goes on his merry way to future exploits.

I was able to contact one of the writers of the episode in question and she pointed in the right direction, but it seems these people would rather talk to an agent then me.

I know other writers have done basically the same thing, question is how?

Once again, Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'm not a lawyer, but what you're doing sounds more like copyright infringement than fair use. I guess you need to decide if you're more interested in meeting the challenge you've given yourself or writing something that you could get published. If the characters that you created have taken on a life their own, then give them their own story and be grateful that your fan fiction exercise led you to something original.

Simon,

I have no desire or intent to infringe on anyone's copyrights, which is why I made an effort to contact one of the writers of the episode in the first place.

Mostly it's my stories take place in a universe created by others, My characters and stories are my own creation, I'm just trying to get permission to use that universe.

I have at hand one twenty-eight book series by another writer who does the same thing, so I know it can be done without stepping on anyone's toes.

I tried contacting his publisher, but as I indicated, getting a reply of any kind is sort of like finding a needle in a haystack. Doesn't mean I'm giving up, just thought someone here might have had a similar experience, if so, I thought I'd pick their brain.

Thanks for your input, Simon.