HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Awkward?

Question Awkward?

I have described an apartment and its many residents in several paragraphs of a story. The first sentence of a new paragraph follows. Is it awkwardly written?

My parents, two brothers and I lived more commodiously and quietly on the floor below in the exact space directly beneath Harriet’s larger family’s apartment.

Comments and suggestions please.

Yeah, awkward. Don't see "commodious" used as an adverb too often. Unnecessary verbiage. Two possessives in a row is almost always a bad idea. Try this:

My parents, two brothers, and I lived quietly in a more commodious apartment directly beneath Harriet and her larger family.

Bravo. Thank you. I knew two posessives was bad idea but went brain dead as to solution. You always come to rescue.

Actually, I prefer to not use ly suffix whenever possible, as they begin to crowd up on a page.

Just outside the little village of Milan in the high plains of New Mexico.
    Harriet’s gang of a family lived in the second-story apartment and the walls seemed to bulge. My folks took the ground floor home, same size, and my brothers and I lived a mellow life with ample space.

Thank you. This is an improvement over my original.

Quote Originally Posted by alcarty View Post
    Harriet’s gang of a family lived in the second-story apartment and the walls seemed to bulge. My folks took the ground floor home, same size, and my brothers and I lived a mellow life with ample space.