HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Dialogue and quotes--2 speakers, 1 paragraph?

I would like to keep wording. Is punctuation completely wrong?

Even though in 2nd paragraph Nick continues dialogue, should quotes be used at end of first?

When Deb did finally meet someone, they bought a home together. She asked Nick, “If same-sex marriage ever becomes legal in Rhode Island, will you give me away?” he answered, “I’d be honored.

“But if I give you away,” he teased, “please don’t ask me to take you back.”

Sorry, that's foreign to me. It's a new paragraph with each new speaker. Get rid of the "teased" tag.

When Deb did finally meet someone, they bought a home together. She asked Nick, “If same-sex marriage ever becomes legal in Rhode Island, will you give me away?”

“I’d be honored," he said. "But if I give you away, please don’t ask me to take you back.”

Thanks John, this was one of those "slap myself upside the head moments" when I saw your detangled reply.

My original question makes a clear case against pulling an all nighter.

>
    Quote Originally Posted by John Oberon View Post
    Sorry, that's foreign to me. It's a new paragraph with each new speaker. Get rid of the "teased" tag.

When Deb did finally meet someone, they bought a home together. She asked Nick, “If same-sex marriage ever becomes legal in Rhode Island, will you give me away?”

“I’d be honored," he said. "But if I give you away, please don’t ask me to take you back.”