HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Can You Outsource a Book? I Need Two of Me

Just got an email from my trade publisher asking if I can do a 7th ed of that book. lol... NO. Well, at least not now. Unless I could hire someone to write it for me. Guess I'll ask if they're willing to wait for eight or nine months, which is when I should be done w/ the Wiley book. If not, oh well. I had the same problem with the sixth edition -I actually non-delivered the manuscript after a year (and they had wanted it in six months). Then I apologized and asked if they'd wait another six. They did, so I'm kind of surprised that they're back for more punishment. LOL

wake up and get editting, LC. It's your book they want. Have they given details of what's needed for this 7 th edit? I had to edit with my publisher 5 times and the final was by far the worst as the book was sent locked so I couldn't do any alterations that were needed. So, hohum I had to create a document and write down all the alts in page number line number etc. It took days and days. But I did it, getting up at 5 am. Less TV, stick to just one fave show that's it.

Hey mockingbird, I should have been clearer -7th edition, not 7th edit. Re details, they don't ask me anything about it anymore, other than can I do another edition.

I've always been given editable documents. If someone wanted me to write down edits with page numbers and line numbers, I'd quit. Seriously.

LOL. I don't blame you.

What software do you use to do these textbooks?

John -I just use good old Word for the text and AutoCAD, SketchUp and Photoshop for the illustrations. Proofs come to me in editable pdf form.

To clarify, the book that's going into its 7th ed. isn't a textbook. It's a mass-market trade book. I told them I could get the manuscript to them in a year. They were fine w/ that. Of course, that's what I told them last time, and ended up taking another six months ...that may happen again...
    Last edited by L C; 12-06-2012 at 02:48 PM.