HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Another textbook!

Just signed a contract with Wiley. Back to the salt pits!

Too bad my books are just boring old textbooks. Otherwise, I'd pull a Paula Broadwell and spill the beans on my high-level affair. You can't possibly convince me that was done for any reason other than to get publicity for her book. Well, Mission Accomplished. LOL

Congratulations LC. I think it's great. I wouldn't be any good at writing a textbook because I would have to actually know what I'm talking about.

Kudos!

Hey, a contract is a contract. There's just as much art and creativity to textbook writing as novel writing.

Thanks, Lea and John! Oh, I know there's just as much art and creativity in writing a text. I just wish that applied to the marketing, too. LOL

As an aside, I got the contract like I got my other three -by myself. No agent help. The agented efforts that I had were unsuccessful (or downright deleterious). Direct on-one-on interaction works better for me than having a go-between.

Well, you must project quite an air of competence and confidence. By the way, do you get to layout the text and graphics, or are you just the writer?

A good textbook makes all the difference in the classroom. I've worked with really good texts, ones that were well-organized with excellent examples, and I've worked with crap textbooks. The latter were so bad that I usually abandoned them and ended up creating my own writing handouts and exercises.

Jeanne

John -I've never met any of my editors or publishers so I just mark it down to good query letters and sample chapters. lol. Actually, I think 75% of getting a nonfic publisher is identifying a niche and making a case that your book will sell to that niche. Re if I "get" to lay out the text and graphics -that implies that I'd want to! I don't have those skillz. I write the text and supply illustrations. The publisher hires a comp house to lay it all out. Prentice Hall took the additional step of hiring a book packager as an intermediary between me and the comp house. Incidentally, the comp houses are all in India. I would like to learn how to use InDesign, tho, which is the program they use. If I ever try self-publishing, I'll take an InDesign class first.

Jean -I agree that a good text makes all the difference. You're K-12, tho, right? Those are made with an entirely different process, and are written to satisfy Common Core standards (usually dictated by California or Texas). My books are for higher ed, so I don't have to worry about that, thankfully. Although we're trying to capture some trade market as well as higher ed with this latest one.

LC,

I teach at the college level. It seems like they introduce a new textbook for English comp classes every year!

Jeanne

Ok, ok. Well, can't you adopt a book of your choice? Or is that a department-level decision? We all adopt our own books where I work. If multiple people teach a class (ok, in English I'm aware there are tons of people teaching one course), everyone has to come to an agreement.

I write, illustrate, and layout all my manuals and technical documentation. It's fun.