HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Just call me "File Recovery Virus" Slayer

So . . . I haven't been writing much, nor have I consequently had many posts or pm's to make because my lovely reconditioned Toshiba Satellite was overtaken by the dreaded File Recovery virus. Which, for those of you that don't know, suppresses nearly every program on your system except Internet Explorer. Which was fine for my husband and my son, the kings of YouTube watching. But not for me, the writer in the fam. A techie friend of mine had attempted to remedy the situation but the virus just came back once I turned the laptop on again. So, I consulted another techie friend who pointed me to a website where I might be able to find a few tricks to get the bleeping thing off my system. So, four hours later, the virus was GONE!!! I held my breath for two days, waiting for it to come back but it hasn't. So there is much rejoicing in the house. I do my best writing on computer -- brainstorming and fleshing out is better with pen to paper, but the real stuff just seems to flow better on computer.

Oh well, happy days are here again!!

Well, welcome back, Jennifer! I know how troubling computer problems can be. I suffered a complete crash quite a while back, and it left me shaken. Thankfully, I had backed up all my writings, but I lost quite a few family pictures.

I agree, my writing flows much better using a computer.

Yikes! That will make me go back up everything today. Pics too. What a nightmare.

This is the site I used to figure out how to get rid of it.

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/file-recovery-virus/

Of course, it may not work in all cases. But it did for mine. You just have to have a lot of time on your hands. Took me about 4 hours. Fortunately, all my writing was on flash drives. But it wasn't doing me any good since MS Word was supressed!

Then my good deed for the day is accomplished! Hehehehehehe.

If you ever get into serious trouble with viruses, trojans, and the like, go to the malware forum at "geekstogo" (can't post links yet); they have volunteers who will work with you with specialized tools to remove just about anything from your system. I've used them a couple of times (my daughter, sadly, does not practice safe Internet), and the results have been phenomenal. And it's free!

Thanks, Gilfindel. And the price is just right, too!