HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
Closed Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
    Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by L C View Post
    Ok, I want to hear this query idea now. How about posting it not for Rogue Mutt, but for the rest of us?
    I wouldn't hold your breath for that if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by L C View Post
    Ok, I want to hear this query idea now. How about posting it not for Rogue Mutt, but for the rest of us?
    Unfortunately there's no way I can share my hook with the rest of you and keep Rogue from seeing it too. And there's just no way i can do that and still respect myself after the way I've been treated.

I will say that my idea has a "grab you by the throat" framing of his idea that both makes the reader want to know more and makes the idea feel fresh and compelling, which is what all good queries should aim to do. It's often hard to come up with a hook that does that, especially when the premise itself isn't all that fresh.

I'd be happy to give you my thoughts on your query if you choose to post it, LC. As long as you don't tell me to STFU or attack me for being a working writer.

Rogue Mutt
    Ha. There you go again, trying to sound like the victim. No one attacked you for being a working writer. I "attacked you" for being a bitch. "I'd help but I'm just soooo busy." If the situation were reversed, you wouldn't have appreciated a smart-ass response like that either. But please, keep acting like the big bad Rogue Mutt hurt poor widow Simon when she was just trying to be oh so nice by saying she was too busy to do anything useful.

Anyway, it doesn't matter if you think your hook is gold. You're not an agent. And since each agent thinks differently, what you think is gold to them might be crap. So there's no point debasing myself for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Says View Post
    Unfortunately there's no way I can share my hook with the rest of you and keep Rogue from seeing it too. And there's just no way i can do that and still respect myself after the way I've been treated.

I will say that my idea has a "grab you by the throat" framing of his idea that both makes the reader want to know more and makes the idea feel fresh and compelling, which is what all good queries should aim to do. It's often hard to come up with a hook that does that, especially when the premise itself isn't all that fresh.

I'd be happy to give you my thoughts on your query if you choose to post it, LC. As long as you don't tell me to STFU or attack me for being a working writer.