HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Great article about debut author

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/10/14...ylink=misearch

Great article about a debut author who had a publisher bidding war over her novel. I enjoyed the techniques she employed, specifically, getting the inspiration for her novel from a painting, and listening to music of her teen years to recapture the angst.

98 views and no comments?

Genn has been active on QueryTracker, and I follow her on Twitter. I had no idea times were so tough for them before she sold her book. I do remember her story, however, of Mollie Glick flying out to court her. That was pretty wild.

Jeanne

Oh, I didn't realize she was twittering and such. I thought QT was just a place to, well, track your queries, lol. Is there a forum there too, or something? I don't follow any authors, am not on twitter ...maybe I should start.

There is a very active forum on QT. It's a great place to get feedback on queries, too. Go to the main QT page and look under resources. You'll find a link to the QT forum. And, yes, it's worth getting on Twitter. Tons of agents, writers, lit mags, and editors tweet. In fact, I think there are more publishing folks than any other kind on Twitter (except politicians!)

Jeanne

Can I just bookmark their twitter pages and read them? (I assume they're all public?) If I got on twitter myself then I'd have to tweet and get followers myself or look ...pathetic ...right?

Any in particular you recommend?

LC,

You don't have to tweet at all if you don't want to. I tweet very little, but I do re-tweet posts I think are interesting or useful, and I have over 1000 followers. I follow about 1800 people. If someone follows me and isn't a spammer, then I usually follow back. It's hard for me to recommend anyone in particular without knowing your interests.

I like to think of Twitter as a giant cocktail party-- You've just walked in, and a million conversations are swirling around you, some more interesting than others. Rather than engage in one conversation, you just keep strolling through the room, eavesdropping on the fascinating snippets.

The best way to start is to create a twitter account and then follow a handful of people who interest you. If you cruise the forums on QT and AgentQuery, you'll find some places where people list their Twitter handles. Once you follow one person, you'll start to see other names (recommended by Twitter) you may recognize. If you want to start by following me, you're welcome--and you can also see the people I follow. Just and pick and choose the ones who fit your interests. My Twitter handle:

(at)JLyetGassman (Replace (at) with @ )

Jeanne

Thx for the info, Jeanne. I have bookmarked some twitter accounts, which enable me to read them without having to make an account myself. There really is a lot of good info shared. I'm afraid if I step into it, though, it will be just another big time suck.

Nice review of Crewell in last Sunday's (Nov 11) NY Times Book Review.