HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Idea for new subgenre -how about Short Shorts?

There's oodles of great short short classics I would love to discuss. And try to write a classic myself.

Anyone interested in this? Not microfiction, per se, rather, 1500 - 2000 words, roughly. Some examples are James Joyce's "Eveline" and William Carlos Williams "The Use of Force" and I.L.Peretz "If not Higher". Great stuff.

Actually, about 2000 to 3000 is my "natural frequency" for a story, so not far off.

I don't know that it's anything new though. It's just the short story genre.
    Last edited by John Oberon; 10-16-2012 at 03:19 AM.

I found this incredible book called "Short Shorts", an anthology of the Shortest stories - edited by Irving Howe and Ilana Howe. It's got Chekhov, Tolstoy, De Maupassant, Babel, DH Lawrence, Hemingway, Thurber, Lessing, Marquez, Kafka - oh man, a gorge fest, a treasure chest, gems all. You should get your hands on a copy if it's still in print. Bantam Books published it in 1983. If we ever meet in person, and become friends, and reach deep levels of trust, I might lend it to you - might.

Microfiction

I have a story I want to share, it's microfiction, but its kinda racy. Should I run it past the Writer's Net chiefs first?

Or you could just PM me. Did you write it?