HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Posting excerpts online

My writers' group is having a crisis. We're trying to decide the best way to handle critique submissions from our members. Twice a month, excerpts are sent to one person, who then makes sure to put them in a format that everyone can open, read, and critique, and then sends them out to those members who have said they will be attending the next meeting.

Some members want to post their excerpts on our group's website and let everyone have a look, even members who maybe haven't been in contact with the group in over a year.

I (and several others) say that's a bad idea, because once posted, you can't control what anyone else is going to do with your writing and where it might end up. Also, some of our writers send in ongoing chapters, so they could end up posting a large portion of their manuscript online. Also, there is the worry that it could derail a chance for some writers who want to go the traditional route, to get their work accepted by an agent or publisher.

I was wondering how other writers feel about posting even a small part of their work online in this type of situation. Could it cause problems for those who want to publish traditionally?

Lea

Lea,

I used to belong to a writer's group that handled email submissions a little differently. One person coordinated the submissions list before every meeting, sending out a mass email to members with the author names and titles of all submissions on the critique list. The submitting writer was responsible for formatting and sending his/her submission to all of the members on the circulation list. But your group's method seems pretty organized, too.

It's not a good idea to post sequential chapters on a public forum for the same reasons you've mentioned. Agents often Google writers before they make requests or offers of representation. If an agent discovers that 90% of a book is available for free on a public site, it really has no value to a publisher.

If some people are really gung-ho on posting excerpts of their work, perhaps the group can allow them to do so with proper warnings. Perhaps post a caveat on the site itself that says something like:

Members may post excerpts of their work here for critique. However, since this is a public site, any and all work posted is accessible to anyone who Googles this site. The XXX group assumes no responsibility to prevent copying or alteration of any work posted. Writers post at their own risk.

That could make some of them reconsider the idea!

Jeanne

Thanks Jeanne. That's what I think also.