HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

OK, this one is for my fellow neurotics . . .

When in the course of writing you decide to make a change, a relatively major one, how do you handle it? Especially when it requires that something you've already written needs to be altered or ditched altogether? Do you drop what you're doing and go back and fix it and go from there? Do you go back to the section(s) that need the change and -- if using MS Word like I am -- make a comment letting you know that something needs changing?

The neurotic in me wants to, of course, drop everything and go back.

As I'm reading or editing, anything I don't like I place 3 question marks by, add a note about what's wrong, then add 3 more question marks at the end of the problem section. I use the 3 question marks to make it easy to find.

I usually brainstorm and try to think of something that I could replace the problem with that won't change (very much of) what I've written after. If that's not possible, I drop everything and go back to change it, so that the rest of the story flows from that event and doesn't seem forced.

If you're using MS Word, you can use the highlighting feature. I highlight a problem area in yellow and make a quick note about the needed changes in bold. Then I keep writing and moving forward. Since one change can require other changes, I find it's always easier to make all major changes at the same time, rather than doubling back and trying to fix things.

Jeanne

Just outside the little village of Milan in the high plains of New Mexico.
    I've gotten into trouble trying to make a change, jumping backward to make a change then hoping I can find what that does to the future of the story. This should have been figured out in the outline. I tend to have sketchy outlines, just enough to keep me on track. When I realize my character is not acting in accordance with his earlier actions, I print the whole thing out. When I have the words on paper that's the time for the red pencil. What I finally came to realize is that this is madness! The few times that has happened I made the decision to just start over. Delete and tear up everything but the original outline, make a well-defined outline, chapter by chapter, and start over. I have probably wandererd so far off that I have been of no help whatever. Take what you can use and leave the rest.